What's new

GMD 16 - that it for the next year?

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Is the recent release likely to be the only major release for the next year?

I asked in the GM 16 thread, but that seems to be focused on license issues now.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mike - I don't think Geomagic are yet in a position to answer that for definite, even if they were in the habit of giving out such information.

I understand that work is ongoing for next release (no idea what that might include). I wouldn't be surprised if we see new builds from time to time before next release as problems surface and get resolved or if the translate portion needs to be updated for example.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Thanks David. I don't really expect them to lay out a detailed road map, but my 1st thought on getting the GM 16 email was that this was a minor update. It's starting to look like the next major update is probably a year or so off and I'd like to find out if that presumption is correct. If the next major update is a year off, that won't necessarily be a deal killer for me, but having no idea could be.

In part, I'm trying to decide if I'll be re-upping maintenance this year, which is due in a couple months. Michael's GMD response in another thread makes me feel a lot better about that, but I'd still like some assurance that GM will to patch bugs and add features for the mechanical CAD user.

Mike

We will continue to fix bugs and address problems in the software. There might be hotfixes throughout the year.
The next major release is tentatively planned around December 2014. It's very early, and may shift around; but that's the basic idea.
This release is a major release though. We added some core technology that simply didn't exist before, and we are very happy to bring that to the user base.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Michael.Mock said:
This release is a major release though. We added some core technology that simply didn't exist before, and we are very happy to bring that to the user base.
And very specific it is, too.... All about 3DS...... We get the message, loud and clear... :p

1) I am neither an employee of nor spokesman for 3D Systems. 2) Because of my background I have contact with key people at 3DS and have a reasonable overview of the situation there. 3) Many of the things I think I know have been revealed to me in confidence -- and in confidence they shall stay.

I believe that it is safe to say that the V16 release consists of: A) Fixes to known bugs & inconsistencies of operation; B) "evolutionary" improvements to existing operands; C) the addition of capabilities that will integrate Geomagic products into the 3D Systems' overall product line; and D) the revision to the license-server system. While this task was no small effort, the focus on (if you will) extensions & expansions of capabilities was mostly left to future releases.

The thing to understand is that, with a few exceptions, there is not a lot of geometry operand development left undone in the Geomagic products as they sit today. Yes, I have my list of additional geometry that I would like to see implemented -- but a lot of that falls under the, There are the few -- and then there's Lew! definition set. My observations and discussions with 3DS personnel have focused more on extension & reuse of data within the overall design documentation process and flexible simplicity of operation across the entire suite of tools. I certainly expect improvements in the API coupled with Andy Ayre's WizoScript efforts to radically improve things in terms of operational customization of the Geomagic products.

The other part of this equation is what we, the user-base, can do to support, promote, and expand the capabilities of the Geomagic product set. Most here are aware of the efforts I have placed into (American system) material's properties, threading standards, and libraries of useful components for design. This is a task inappropriate to 3D Systems. As an example, several years ago (2011) I created a library of Boolean Subtract components require to generate (aerospace & munition) SAE AS5202 (MS33649) hydraulic connection ports. I am currently writing up instructions and testing a secondary library for the (automotive & marine) SAE J1936/1 (MS16142) hydraulic connection ports. Finding holes in standard parts and filling them is our task -- not 3D System's task! We need to get about such things! This is one way to show 3D Systems just how invested[/b] we are in their products.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
The thing to understand is that, with a few exceptions, there is not a lot of geometry operand development left undone in the Geomagic products as they sit today.
I've no idea what falls under your "geometry operand development" category. I do know that, over the nine years I've been using this software, there's been precious little development of its 3D capabilities. It seems to me that there's a great deal to be done.....

dwc

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
I believe that it is safe to say that the V16 release consists of:

I know that I am just one user, but since I bought AD10 Standard I have been down and upgraded several times.
Up through V12 all was fine, but since then,
I have new features that don't interest me...
Bugs have been added on functions that worked fine before...
The program loading time has at least been doubled (we can see the workspace pretty quick, but it doesn't help, we can't work until it finishes its housekeeping)...
Functions have been hidden (added keypresses to use)...
A new licensing scheme has been added that forces me to accept the real dangers of putting my compi on the Internet...
and I am sure that I will have to pay at least 2 or 3 times as much if not alot more for my next maintainance.

The thing that kills me 'though is really the advanced selector bugs added in V14 (worked fine in V12) that have not been corrected.
This drives me crazy every time I use the program. That is core functionality.
I would love to go back to V12 except it is impossible now.

I am trying really hard, but I don't see any upside in the developments of the last two years.
I am still using AD/GM, it is a good program and quite stable, for example, but it is obvious that now the bean counters are in control and we can not expect improvements except those that improve their profits.
Don