What's new

going from 32 to 64 bit same version, license change?

JST

Alibre Super User
I can run either 64 or 32 bit GMD, and have been thinking of changing over to the 64 bit from the 32 bit I have been running.

That should be OK, since Kyle suggested in another thread that 64 bit GMD will actually run better with only 4 GB than 32 bit will. This sounds odd, since the minimum stated is 8GB for 64 bit, but he should know, and I am willing to give it a try.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18678

Anyhow, the question is do I need to do the "give up license/re-establish license" deal when doing that? It would be the same 2015.0.1 version, I think, as I have the installers for both versions of 2015.0.1 I think I will stick with that one for a while, since there seem to be some new and unfixed bugs in the update version.

Kyle

No, you will not need to change anything with your license. You can just uninstall the 32bit and then run the 64bit installer.

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, I tried that, and the uninstaller told me to use the license tool to release the license.

Do I do that? or do I just hit continue?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Based on Kyle's recommendation, I'd ignore the message.

I've switched versions by uninstall, then install newer (or older) version and the replacement has happily picked up the licence without problem. I think the message is more of a caution to those who might be uninstalling with a view to using the software on a different PC, or other cases where the licence would need to be released.

If you are at all worried - it only takes a few seconds to release the licence, so there would be no harm in doing that even if not totally needed.

JST

Alibre Super User
That's what I did, and it picked up seamlessly, even preserving my history of recent items worked on.

Seems to work fine, and be faster, with 64 bit version, even without what 3DS claims is the minimum requirement of memory, and that is with large assemblies, not little stuff.