What's new

Gridgenerator

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Colleagues,

this script makes rectngular holes in rectangular faces :)
Due to the missing pattern function in AlibreScript it makes it with calculated sketches - this takes some time the more holes your going to create...
I have set a warning if the number of holes gets greater than 70...
upload_2019-9-9_19-53-31.png
The script guesses what language you are using (today only english or german) and presents you an requester, where "your" language is set to the top of the list.
upload_2019-9-9_19-53-53.png
It sets the UI accordingly to the selected language and standard units of the alibre install.
You can choose a face, the size of the holes and the space between them.
upload_2019-9-9_19-54-27.png
It automaticaly calculates the max number of holes and centers the group to the sides of the rectangular face choosen.
If you want to you can let the sketchlines be fixed.
upload_2019-9-9_19-55-15.png

If you have chossen a depth and it's neccessary you can reverse the exrude direction.
Have fun playing around...

Regards
Stefan

Ps.: If you create a folder named Auto or some name with eg. A as the first letter inside your skript library
and put the protected scripts into, you gone have a kind of text buttons for quick access of "functions"...
upload_2019-9-9_19-53-4.png

Attachments

• Gridgenerator_V02.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 11
this script makes rectngular holes in rectangular faces
Hi Stefan -- My comment is that if you are going to mill such "holes" then they would have a "cutter allowance fillet" in each of the (4) corners. Even if you EDM the "holes" there will be slight "radius" in each "corner" as the material gets "sparked away." [I honestly could not tell you how many (hundreds) of hours I spent scraping "hole corners square" as a tool & die maker.] -- Lew

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Lew,

as i said: "the script makes rectangular holes", i don't want you to drill them...
if you want that the script creates round corners, ask for it after you have tested it (at least a few minutes, i think you don' have to test it a few hundred hours...);)!
Otherwise you can add a remark to your drawing like "all non dimensioned gridcorners have R3" if you want...

Regards
Stefan

Hello Lew
Hi Stefan -- My "comment" deals with the "problem" of making a "square cornered hole" in a Part. As the person who made the Injection Mold Dieset and Trim Dies use to make the "hand held" (but not "pocket") calculator that HP made for NASA (in 1968) I do have a "bit of experience" with such things. Creating a Design that cannot be effectively made rarely has "value" in my experience.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Lew,
the "problem" of making a "square cornered hole"
this is no problem, take a hammer and a rectangular drill and hammer the holes if you have no other tool...the cool thing with this technique is that you need no computer for this.;)
Back to the skript, it is Version 0.2, what should show it can't be ready...
If the rest of the skript is ok, you can wish to get round corners (if you believe it or not, this can be programmed). So i would probably make a V 0.3.
If there is no further interest, i don't put more work into...:)

Regards
Stefan

this is no problem, take a hammer and a rectangular drill and hammer the holes if you have no other tool...the cool thing with this technique is that you need no computer for this.
The tool to accomplish this is a broach driven by a press (mechanical or hydraulic).

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Lew,

as far as this is the AlibreScript section of the forum, it would be nice to get comments to the script itself and, politely , not about manufacturing methods or your personal history.
again:
you can wish to get round corners
but adding four radii to the rectangles means additional work, which i like to avoid if no one wants such a script or complains about the UI or overall usability. If you want to express constructive criticism, test the script and complain then...

Regards
Stefan