What's new

Help needed with Meccano gear constraint

shmbry

Am I missing something ? Two identical gears that do not mesh when using the gear constraint.

Attachments

• Meccano No.30 Assembly.AD_PKG
    557.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Meccano No.30.jpg
    Meccano No.30.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Select two circular edges instead of the faces of gear teeth.
You can suppress the constraint to rotate the gears to align the tooth mesh then unsuppress the constraint.

1674244323618.png

bolsover

@shmbry
Just curiosity on my part.. Did you generate the gears yourself or were these pre-built files? I ask because viewed from one side 'front' the gear meshing looks OK but not from the reverse side.
front.png Back.png
If you want accurate bevel gears, I think the guide by @Oldbelt is a good starting point. Gear templates

David

shmbry

I did it roughly from the works drawing attached. The overall geometery is ok, but I didn't go into the minutiae. There is a pdf online regarding Meccano gear theory, but it's several pages long.

shmbry

Just had a quick look at those files. Many thanks for the pointer. I might refine it later. I did an earlier version with a loft, but it crashed.

shmbry

For my immediate needs of verifying the space claim in a bigger project I have created a gear as a blank with its periphery at the PCD. The notch is to visualise the gear constraint. The geometery of Meccano gears is known and proven so apart from an interesting CAD exercise ...

Attachments

• Meccano No.30 Assembly (Space Claim).AD_PKG
    102.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Overall Assembly 21-01-23.jpg
    Overall Assembly 21-01-23.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 25