What's new

Help running Alibre on XP64

joecooljsi

Help running Alibre on XP64

I recently purchased a Athelon 3200 64 with Windows XP64 and was wondering if anyone has been able to run Alibre on this type of system? I don't really care that it runs on 32 bit and not 64 bits, I just want to be able to use it on this machine. The software won't upload because it says it does not recognize the operating system. Is there any way around this?
I would appreciate any help, Thanks.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I have not tried Windows XP64. I thought that the idea was that you would be able to run either 64 bit or 32 bit applications with Windows XP 64. Have you tried tech support from the computer company or from Microsoft? Can you run other 32 bit software without problems?

laviniu

Aliber MSJVM and 64 bit...

There are a couple of issues here. I could not find anywhere in the Alibre's knowledge base about the Windows XP 64 support or (un)support for that matter. The fact that the installer doesn't work OR the program would not start means this is not a tested configuration, or you're doing something wrong. Secondly, I could not satisfactorily find an answer for MSJVM availability on Windows XP 64 bit. Remember the support for MSJVM ended last year at the end and Windows XP 64 bit was released this year. I would be very surprised if MSJVM works on Windows XP 64. Try to install MSJVM first if you haven't done so, to see if it works. If it doesn't install then I'm afraid you have to "downgrade" to regular Windows XP.

Now I'm taking advantage of this issue to reissue my question from the other thread. Would Alibre 9.0 be ported on J# .NET platform ? If so, when is the release? There are a couple of us with 64 bit machines that would love to upgrade the OS as well... And we would like to run Alibre in the 64 bit OS.

Laviniu

joecooljsi

Thank you for the replies, I downloaded the MSJVM but had no luck. Hopefully someone knows how to manipulate the 64 bit system to run this program. Since Alibre updated to 8.2 it has caused my old computer to throw dimention numbers all over the place and run really slow when I start getting more detailed drawings also my new 64 bit computer can't run the program at all. I guess I may be looking somewhere else for a design program. I have to agree with aviniu that I would like to see Alibre upgrade their software to work with 64 bit systems.

Joe

kdevoe

I'm not sure if this will help but Windows XP (32) has a section called "Program Compatability Wizard" where you could set up the system to run a program as though it was using an earlier version of windows. You could use this if your program would run using Win95, 98, 2000 but did not run with XP.

Kevin

Re:

joecooljsi said:
I downloaded the MSJVM but had no luck.

Meaning what? Were you unable to install it? I've never tried it on XP64, but there is a switch that you can give the MSJVM installer that tells it to skip OS compatability checks. That might give you a working MSJVM for the 32-bit subsystem.

Ever since Microsoft pulled their "Well, if you won't play the game our way, we're going to take our ball and go home" stunt with Java, anything that depends on the MSJVM has been a business liability. :-( This was one of our big concerns with Alibre prior to purchase. Our sales rep said Alibre Inc has a plan to migrate away from the MSJVM and is working in that direction, but didn't give an exact time frame.

Microsoft will drop all support for MSJVM (including security maintenance) at the end of 2007, so Alibre better have made the switch by then.

joecooljsi said:
Since Alibre updated to 8.2 it has caused my old computer to throw dimention numbers all over the place and run really slow when I start getting more detailed drawings ...

Did you take those issues up with tech support? Like most CAD programs, Alibre is very sensitive to your video card and drivers. Getting things working sometimes requires a bit of expirimentation. CAD vendors have had OpenGL qualification programs for years, but that kind of infrastructure doesn't really exist for Microsoft's DirectX yet.

Things like this are why IT guys like me always shake our heads when companies bet on the Microsoft technology-of-the-month. Sure, it may work, eventually, but it's often quite a pain getting there, and then MSFT pulls the rug out when you do. :-( You'd think people would get tired of getting hosed this way. Then again, most vendors pull the same crap... *sigh* There are times where the state of my profession really disgusts me.

joecooljsi

No I did not have a problem installing the MSJVM. I downloaded the Alibre program onto my computer into a download file from their website and when I went to upload it (install it) into my computer it gives me the message "Alibre Design requires that your computer is running Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 or Windows XP" I talked to the company that I purchased this computer from, he said I could get Windows XP 32 and add it to this computer so when I need to run the Alibre I would have to boot up the system running the XP32 and when I am running all other programs I could run the XP64. With the other problem, my computer is older with an old video card.
Right now I think I will ad the XP32 so that I can get my Alibre running again so far it seems to be the best idea. I was hoping not to have to do the extra step of getting the XP32 involved with this computer.
Thanks for your responses

Joe