What's new

Hole Dialog Box question?

kosinski

Hole Dialog Box question?

A question for Alibre, what up with the "Hole Dialog" coordinate data entry,
"U" and "V"?

Why not "X" "Y" and may a "Z" input. I searched the turtorials and the book, but haven't found the explanation.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Because X, Y, and Z imply a global coordinate system. U and V represent the local 2D axes, since the X and Y directions may change depending on the plane you create the sketch on.

kosinski

OK, I get the idea but?

OK, I get the idea but how does "U" and "V" apply then? Do I assume "U" then is left and right and "V" up and down? Or is it the other way around?

True X Y and Z on a "user" plane may not be the "system" or "design world" X and Y, but to maintain my own sanity I still think of them as X Y and Z.

I would have liked to see them as maybe "UX" and "UY", you know what I mean, to retain some of the direction meaning. :?

Thank for the reply!!!!

swertel

Alibre Super User

Yes, U is left to right (similar to X on a standard 2D XY plane) and V is up and down.

U and V are also industry standard terminology for many other direction definitions, not just 2D cad work. That's why it omits the X and Y portions. For example, when talking about a complex (swoopy) surface, there is a U and V direction of the surface, which changes X and Y directions because of the countour of the surface. It can get pretty tricky, and very confusing if X and Y were included.

Not to mention, U is sometimes the substitute for micro. Doesn't make sense in this context, but could be confusing. U is also used to imply a relative change, similar to dX or dy. In this case, that context is spot-on, but may not always be. I hope you don't mind the long story.

kosinski

U and V description

No I don't mind the long version at all. Thank you for the info. Sounds like you know your stuff. I got Alibre Design to get serious about doing 3D design work. Of the design packages it seems to be, for the most part, easy to pick up. I'll most likely have more questions.

3D really is a good way to go. Thanks again!