What's new

How do I hatch an area with a circular edge tangent to a line?

tenthwave

The hatch in 2018 works fine with lines intersecting at angles to form a shape. It fails when I try to hatch an area that has a fillet blending into a line. The full line is selected instead of the line up to the point of intersection. Sometimes I can hatch an area that has an internal hole... and sometimes not. There seems to be an art form in here. Suggestions?

tenthwave

Can you post a capture of what you mean.

The line segment that I need to select is collinear with the line segment above it in the top view. This must be an "advanced selection" issue. As to the hole issue: It worked once but I haven't been able to recreate the magic. The question is selecting an area than has an inner loop that I DON'T want to hatch.

Thanks all

Attachments

• hatch_test.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 31

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A package file created from the 2D drawing will reduce the effort that others have to expend to study your problem. The package file contains the drawing and the part.

tenthwave

I need 2D dimensioned drawings with hatched areas to designate different vertical levels in the view. In a 3D isometric view the lines are distinct but the standard dimensioning doesn't work. If I could pull the dimension out with the Measurement Tool and get it into the 3D drawing directly that would be great. So far I have only been able to transfer a reading from the Measurement Tool to the drawings as a note which is prone to error.

I need 2D dimensioned drawings with hatched areas to designate different vertical levels in the view. In a 3D isometric view the lines are distinct but the standard dimensioning doesn't work. If I could pull the dimension out with the Measurement Tool and get it into the 3D drawing directly that would be great. So far I have only been able to transfer a reading from the Measurement Tool to the drawings as a note which is prone to error.
You will have to create a Section View to make that "portion" Hatch. In 2D Modelers, Hatches are limited to Section Views. It is not like unto 2S Drafting tools.

tenthwave

AHA! That was the concept I needed to see what was happening here. In a number of other packages like Photoshop I could play my game... fill an area until you get to a boundary. I consider myself answered.

Thanks All

kerickson

The line segment that I need to select is collinear with the line segment above it in the top view. This must be an "advanced selection" issue. As to the hole issue: It worked once but I haven't been able to recreate the magic. The question is selecting an area than has an inner loop that I DON'T want to hatch.

Thanks all
To get the line segment you need to create the hatch you can activate sketch in that view then add a line segment constraining the end points to the end of the arc and end of the line. The line segment can then be selected and the hatch area closed.

Ken

lamar

You can hatch items on 2D drawings. select the hatch tool and then your hatch pattern, then you need to select the lines on the hatch aria all lines must connect to make a complete box for the hatch to work. I us this occasionally to make the different levels more clear.