What's new

How do you use Configurations?

pridbor

I did make a search for previous posts, and help was no help but didn't see anything "useful".

What I would like is a reference to a simple example of what it is useful for.

I was thinking that I could use it to "host" different variations of a design but when I tried to generate just a simple object with 2 variations, I didn't "see" the difference.

A simple example:
I have a box as my basic design. I want that box with a Cylinder on the top as a new configuration. I now want that box with a hex extrusion on the front as a third configuration.

First of all, is that a realistic example? If so then:

Do I click on the relevant configuration in order to make additional changes to it? And what happens if I make changes to a part which isn't part of this configuration?

As you can tell I am confused as to how to make use of this feature which I hope to be very useful

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Preben

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Let me start by saying that Configurations are VERY powerful, also not well understood by all.

This video might help you get started

The configuration locks are the most potentially confusing - additionally you can 'unlock' temporarily whilst editing. This allows you to have some aspects of a design which will be common across configurations, yet other aspects which only apply to the currently active configuration.

I'd suggest that you review the video, try a few things, then ask questions about what you are having difficulty with.

Once you understand part configurations, move on to assemblies.

pridbor

First of all thanks for the link, great!! I forgot to look on Youtube!

Very interesting and can very quickly get complicated if one has multiple configs of parts as well as Assemblies :)

One also has to remember to pick Activate before making changes to a given Part/Assy, which I forgot a number of times that had me pulling my non-existing hair :)

Thanks many times !!!

Preben

BobSchaefer

First of all thanks for the link, great!! I forgot to look on Youtube!

Very interesting and can very quickly get complicated if one has multiple configs of parts as well as Assemblies :)

One also has to remember to pick Activate before making changes to a given Part/Assy, which I forgot a number of times that had me pulling my non-existing hair :)

Thanks many times !!!

Preben
I'm glad you're starting to see the power of configurations. Its pretty much the only reason that I have the top level version of Alibre, because I am completely addicted to configurations!

I agree that things can get complicated very quickly, which is why I would suggest as one of the first things to do when creating configurations, is make sure you give each one a useful name/description. That way its easier to keep track of what each one is.

Also, very, very important to remember which configuration is currently active when editing, I have also had numerous times where I've created a new configuration, and forgot to either click the active check box or the locked checkbox or both and then had to go back and undo all my changes!

I will say that their power is very useful for me, I can create one assembly that represents multiple variations of an item without having to have a whole bunch of assemblies lying around and keeping track of them and having to modify each one if I make one minor tweak to a base part.

Bob