What's new

How is WINE support in 2021?

gtz01

I have a new computer and I'd like to run Linux as I work in it every day and it will keep my life aligned in one direction. Most of the games I play support Linux these days, WINE compatibility is pretty good otherwise, and I'd like to relegate Windows 10 to a VM.

Alibre is holding me back though along with several other pieces of software. The other software isn't such an issue as WINE compatibility is good but I am trying to plan how to use Alibre.

Is the WINE compatibility good in V22? The alternative I have is to KVM with qemu and do a passthrough of one of my GPUs, which isnt such a big deal, but why go to that effort if WINE compatibility is good? The last post I saw here was for V12 which was ages ago.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Historically, WINE doesn't properly emulate DirectX, so Alibre will not perform at all well, or even at all.

I think you are asking the question the wrong way around - it should be 'How good is WINE support for Alibre?'

gtz01

Historically, WINE doesn't properly emulate DirectX, so Alibre will not perform at all well, or even at all.

I think you are asking the question the wrong way around - it should be 'How good is WINE support for Alibre?'

This is only historically. The reason I even asked is because Valve has poured TONS of money into WINE and it supports Vulkan now. I supposed I can always try it and find out...lol

anson

What about Windowsfx ? They seem to be targeting productivity customers rather than gaming, which gives me hope for Windows/Linux full compatibility.

BobSchaefer

What about Windowsfx ? They seem to be targeting productivity customers rather than gaming, which gives me hope for Windows/Linux full compatibility.
I've never heard of this one... I just took a look at their website, they seem interesting. I have a spare computer lying around, maybe I'll try loading things up on it and see what happens... I'll post back if/when I do and let everyone know what happened.

anson

I've never heard of this one... I just took a look at their website, they seem interesting. I have a spare computer lying around, maybe I'll try loading things up on it and see what happens... I'll post back if/when I do and let everyone know what happened.
I'd like to try it too once I have time so definitely keep us posted.

BobSchaefer

I'd like to try it too once I have time so definitely keep us posted.
Well, I've installed windowsfx on a spare computer, and I fired up the alibre install. It went, somewhat okay, there were definitely issues, like not being able to see much of any text on the dialog boxes, but that was just the installer. Now the big issue is that I can't figure out if it actually installed anything, and if so, where. The icon that was created doesn't work, but its pointing to C:\Program Files\.... which doesn't exist, so now I need to see if I can figure out where it went and if by changing the icon I can get it to start.

So, if anybody has a clue how wine (and even better, windowsfx) handles the translation from windows file paths to linux file paths, please let me know!

anson

Not an expert on wine, but on ubuntu C:\ is located at ~/. wine/drive_c. I don't know how they handle the transition, but at best you could see if the .exe is there.

BobSchaefer

Not an expert on wine, but on ubuntu C:\ is located at ~/. wine/drive_c. I don't know how they handle the transition, but at best you could see if the .exe is there.
Thanks, I managed to find the files and worked through a bunch of things and have made progress! I got it to bring up the splash screen, and then it dies, with following error:

Licensing library could not be initialized.
Error code: -3513 windows process error

So, I'll keep digging a little more to see if I can figure out if there's something more that I need to update/install that might make that part happy or not, but I've made some progress!