What's new

How to add a reference for Geomagic Design 2013?

markporter

Hi,
I'm a newbie to API programming with VB 2010 express and the Geomagic design API. I wrote a few simple applications that worked with Alibre 2011/2012, but I can't get them to work with 2013.

So, back to the drawing board. I've started again in Visual Studio 2010 express with Alex Frankes console example, on a 64bit Windows 7 machine. When I try to add a reference I have the choice to add a reference from the .NET, COM and browse tabs.

I've read elsewhere here that I should reference the tlb file in the .NET framework. However, I don't see Geomagic or Alibre listed in the .NET tab.

AlibreX is listed in the COM tab. However, if I select this I get an error telling me I can't add it here, and should add a reference to the .NET assembly instead. How? It's not listed on the .NET tab.

I get the same error if I browse to AlibreX_64.tlb and add that.

If I try to use AlibreX.dll, I get a little further. Unfortunately that targets a different processor, and there is no 64bit version.

Please, what am I doing wrong? Where can I find some documentation to help me get started?

TimoCAD

I think I have the same problem, but you see absolutely no help from Alibre-Geomagic and also no help from the users of the forum.

Even the API-Description-File hasn't been updated since 2011. Poor service for ambitioned Users who would invest some programming time to get the software to the next level, and I bet many programmers here would share their sourcecode with Alibre-Geomagic that they can implement it directly in the software.

What would be a cheaper software-development resource as users who are programming their own AddOns and sharing them with Alibre-Geomagic, hoping that they would implement it directly into the next version/update/patch.

Just think about it guys!

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Yes, I agree. I would release my python scripting software if I had confidence it would work in 2013/2014 (which I don't have). But the OP's comments make me think it would be difficult to support.

Andy

simonb65

Alibre Super User
markporter said:
If I try to use AlibreX.dll, I get a little further. Unfortunately that targets a different processor, and there is no 64bit version.

I'm using VS2010 (c#), my project references AlibreX.dll (via the 'browse' tab, not COM or .NET!) and the project needs to be setup to reference dotNET 4.0.3 (Project->Properties). dotNET 4.0 is not sufficient !

The project is also setup to build an x64 release and I'm running the 64bit verison of GM Design Elements 2014 (was AD/GM 2013) on a win7 64 bit machine.

All references are resolved and it builds and runs (64 bit) with no issues !

markporter

Thanks. How did you add the reference to dotNET 4.0.3? I've added 4.5.1, but don't see 4.0.3.

No worries - found it and up and running on Visual Studio 2103 VB for Geomagic Design Expert 16.