What's new

How to create a unique copy of a part?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'm working on something that uses a template part as the base to insert parts into an assembly.

Requirements:
Each inserted part must not reference back to the template part.
Each inserted part must be unique - so changes to one don't effect the others.
I do not want the parts linked to saved parts in the filesystem - that must be done manually by the user.

I've looked through all and tested some of the functions for duplicate part and adding parts. None seen to do the job.
I've thought about recreating the parts: I've tried copying the sketch from the template part but that looses dimensions and constraints.

Any ideas?

ajayre

Alibre Super User
What about this in a script?:

1. open the template part
2. n = 1
3. save template under a new filename adding n to the filename
4. insert n part into assembly
5. n =n + 1
6. go back to step 3

Andy

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yeah I saw that might be my only option but I was hoping for something that didn't pre-save the files because then it is difficult for the user to name and organize parts later. It seems like all the functions are there but maybe Alibre would need to add it to API first.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
In your script show a dialog window that asks the user where to save and what name/organization to use.

Andy

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
That assumes the user will know ahead of time. Often they don't - which is why simply renaming parts in Alibre Design is a feature many people have asked for over the years.