What's new

How to get 3D coordinates out of a sketch point?

larthen

How to get 3D coordinates out of a sketch point?

I am working on a little program helpful when editing complicated lofts. How ever i can't figure out how to get the coordinates of a sketch point in general origin coordinates. With sketches placed on planar faces it is complicated but possible, however when dealing with single design planes lying in odd angles against base planes, the zero point does not lay on an axis perpendicular to the plane and going thru origin, but just... in the middle of the plane! It is irrational and makes all calculations worthless, because I can't get the coordinates of the zero point of the plane.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I haven't a clue what you can or can't do with the API but, if I wanted to do this normally, I would insert a Point at the Sketch Origin from within the Sketch and then exit the Sketch and use the Measurement tool to get the Coordinates of the Point.

larthen

Thanks Miles, I just realized that there is such an option under Sketch-Insert-Point! It is incredible I haven't found it before. I always used the icon "Insert Point" and was automaticaly thrown out of the sketch editing mode with no possibility to select any existing nodes. Thank a lot, topic closed.