What's new

How to make 2nd hard drive duplicate the 1st?

scotte

Hello,
I just added a second hard drive which I want it to be a duplicate of the first, meaning when I save it writes to both drives. I'd google this but I don't even know the proper terminology to describe it.
Thanks,
Scott E

Hop

Chester33 you are "jumping the shark" on this topic, which asked about mirroring hard drives, but nevermind:

Perhaps, for some reason, the SATA and EIDE drives cannot co-exist on your motherboard. Check your mobo user’s manual to see if this is true, or to configure the mobo to run both SATA and EIDE. Most (if not all) mobo manuals are available online as free PDF downloads.

If you cannot run both SATA and EIDE at the same time, one solution is to purchase a USB-to-IDE adapter. These are inexpensive and come in USB 2 and USB 3 versions. Make sure your mobo supports USB 2. You connect your EIDE hard drive to the adapter and plug the adapter into a spare USB port. The operating system will now recognize your hard drive as a removable hard drive. Years ago these were available for plain USB, which is very sloooow. If your mobo is very oooold and doesn’t support USB 2you may need to find one of these older adapters. Or consider upgrading to a new mobo.

If there is room, you should probably copy all the files on the EIDE drive to a folder on the SATA drive. The USB connection is considerably slower than the SATA connection. Consider installing another SATA drive if you really need more drive space.

Hop