What's new

How to Project a 2D Sketch onto a Curved Surface

DBC

Is it possible to project a 2D Sketch (spline) onto a curved surface so it can become a path for a sweep. I am trying to do my grooved bottle tutorial in Alibre and finding some difficulties. No easy way to scale a sketch and not seeing a way to project a path.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Is it possible to project a 2D Sketch (spline) onto a curved surface so it can become a path for a sweep. ]

No.

But you can create a cut (extruded cut) through curved surface and then go into 3D sketch and use the edges of that cut to create a 3D sketch and use that for your sweep curve. Then simply delete/suppress the cut.

DBC

Just seems to be too many limitations in Alibre for this.

Can't fillet groove edges on their own. Screen-0001

Can fillet some edges, but not all using face, Screen-0002

Can't remove all faces required when filleting face, Screen-0003

Was able to remove one corner. Screen-0004

Tried mirroring before fillets and can only fillet bottom planar face. Screen-0005 Allibe just doesn't seem to like working with curved surfaces.

Attachments

• Screen-0001.jpg
    Screen-0001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen-0002.jpg
    Screen-0002.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen-0004.jpg
    Screen-0004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen-0005.jpg
    Screen-0005.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen-0003.jpg
    Screen-0003.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 25

bigseb

Alibre Super User
AD is picky when it comes to fillets and chamfers. Have you tried applying them one edge at a time?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Don,

1:
I wonder if yours works because of the separation at the front. Is there a space on the back too?
Here a screenshot made with dynamic sections
upload_2019-9-12_10-19-10.png
2:
Here is the file. Would like a 0.250" fillet on all edges.
I can only find a JPG in your post. Can you upload the part file?

Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Sebastian,
It'll need a concave base though so it doesn't balloon when filled and so that it can stand firmly on the shelf.
maybe the next bottle will have this feature...
This one is only for uncompressed air, which explaines the missing thread for the cap as well:)
Maybe we can copy the thread from your preform (have you made a the bottle tool for the stretch blow molding machine also?)

Cheers
Stefan

DBC

Hello Don,

that's what i do. To realize complex projects it's necessary to learn the tool.

If you provide your file, i'm sure that someone here in the forum is able to find the reason...

Regards
Stefan

The tools are not that complex, some are just not robust enough - if they are there at all. I know you all love Alibre and I'd like to as well, but it still needs a lot of development as one can see by reading numerous posts on the forum. Even people like Seb, whom I assume is a long time user, calls it picky in this use case. If a user came to Alibre with no CAD experience at all, it would seem like the cat's meow, but coming from a full-time, long term background of CAD with experience in a number of CAD application, I rate Alibre as pretty darn good, but with much ground to cover if it wants to stay competitive. Sadly, I suspect that Alibre doesn't have the resources to develop as fast as its users would like.

That said, I know it is time for me to stop complaining and just get on with using it, or not, as the case may be. I know what it is like to read these kinds of posts from seemingly new users and it gets pretty tiresome so I will try and change my attitude.

PS, I did provide the file in a reply to your earlier request for it. It is still there.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Don,
PS, I did provide the file in a reply to your earlier request for it. It is still there.
may i overlooked it, the file in post #10 opens an JPG for me...
Can you be so kindfull and upload the file again or post the the link to it?
Regards
Stefan

DBC

Hello Don,

may i overlooked it, the file in post #10 opens an JPG for me...
Can you be so kindfull and upload the file again or post the the link to it?
Regards
Stefan
Not sure how that happened. Try this.

Attachments

• Bottle With Groove in Alibre.AD_PRT
    860 KB · Views: 28