What's new

How to read mass? [fixed]

Alexander

I also contacted support regarding this bug and they are looking into it and is on the critical list.
One thing I did ask was if the centre of mass was also affected, they said not and should be working fine.
I am getting strange and inaccurate results for the centre of mass, therefore V21 is being installed for now.
Very frustrating !

Alexander

Now I have just discovered that I can't open my assemblies with V21, Aaaaagghhhhh !!
Deadlines looming with defective tools is not what I need at the moment.....

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Deadlines looming with defective tools is not what I need at the moment.....
Sorry, but that's why most businesses don't use newly released software for critical projects! Projects in my business (and everywhere I've worked at) get completed before upgrade to a new version and even then it's not upgraded until at least a couple of months after things have settled down and the teething issues have been resolved and it's been fully evaluated. Doesn't help your situation, but put it down to a valuable lesson learnt. Did you take a snapshot backup of your project before switching over to v22? so at least you can go back to that point in the project on v21?

Alexander

Sorry, but that's why most businesses don't use newly released software for critical projects! Projects in my business (and everywhere I've worked at) get completed before upgrade to a new version and even then it's not upgraded until at least a couple of months after things have settled down and the teething issues have been resolved and it's been fully evaluated. Doesn't help your situation, but put it down to a valuable lesson learnt. Did you take a snapshot backup of your project before switching over to v22? so at least you can go back to that point in the project on v21?

Wise words Simon, I'm always too keen to get the latest version installed. The centre of mass is key to my project so I will have to export the assembly and use my Awfuldesk Inventor license to get the correct readings.
I never learn.....:(

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'm always too keen to get the latest version installed.
We've all been guilty of that! Could be worse ... it could be one of those online CAD applications that just give you the latest whether you asked fof it or not! Warts'n'all.

JST

Alibre Super User
Sorry, but that's why most businesses don't use newly released software for critical projects! Projects in my business (and everywhere I've worked at) get completed before upgrade to a new version and even then it's not upgraded until at least a couple of months after things have settled down and the teething issues have been resolved and it's been fully evaluated. .......

Which is why I am not messing with V22 until the dust settles. Or, at least until the corrections come out in a couple weeks.

ROTTER

So it's best to install V22 when V23 is released. And with the installation of V23, wait until the V24 appears ...???

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Let's just add: this is a new bug, it worked fine before. So its up to Alibre to pull out all stops and get the fix out ASAP. Not in weeks or months. Otherwise it loses the 'pro' factor.

Hunter

So it's best to install V22 when V23 is released. And with the installation of V23, wait until the V24 appears ...???
Hopefully with the next release it is possible to install the beta next to the production version. I was surprised to see that the beta replaces the production version, so immediately uninstalled it again. It makes testing the beta impossible as far as I'm concerned.

beastro

It'll be interesting what the response from Support will be and if there will be a hot-fix for it now or rolled in to v23.

Odd that this didn't come up during Beta testing.:confused:

For my part, I can guarantee that it would have come up, as I use material properties and CoG heavily in my current projects. What happened is that the requirement to uninstall V21 in exchange for V22 Beta seems like a deal breaker for potential Beta testers. At least it was for me, which is why I did not get to see the problem. Ironically, we had just discussed the CoG issues of Alibre in another thread a few weeks ago and Stefan helped me solve my issues with his great script...
So maybe a change in BETA policy is what is needed for more efficient testing?

Hunter

Surely a hotfix and not only in V23, that would be unacceptable. It has to be fixed in the next few days, I would've thought that a fix would be out already. It impacts a slew of critical aspects, like packing/transport weight, rigging studies, cost estimates, etc. Surely, a fix is coming soon as it's been a week already?

Fortunately the error is so obvious that it won't cause incorrect designs.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hopefully with the next release it is possible to install the beta next to the production version. I was surprised to see that the beta replaces the production version, so immediately uninstalled it again. It makes testing the beta impossible as far as I'm concerned.
This needs to be written in red, bold and underlined. You can't do direct A-B testing currently without having a second PC at hand to do so.

Hunter

I'll give the ticket I submitted a bump...
I understand that there is a fix, but it is yet to be tested. Not sure when it will be rolled out, no date/estimate given. I'm pretty sure they're aware of how important this is to (some) end users, we certainly have been vocal enough about it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I understand that there is a fix, but it is yet to be tested. Not sure when it will be rolled out, no date/estimate given. I'm pretty sure they're aware of how important this is to (some) end users, we certainly have been vocal enough about it.
I think this is very important, not just to some users but to all. A pro CAD software that can't calculate mass correctly isn't pro.

ROTTER

We urgently need to fix the mass calculation error. This is a very serious mistake. I cannot release the project.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously not ideal that this slipped through - the assembly weight calculation problem can be worked around using weight in BoM, as has already been pointed out by some.

Fix will ship in a service pack, should get an idea of likely date for that soon.