What's new

How to rename parts within a STP file Assembly

PaulProe

I just imported an assembly saved as a STP file and converted it to an Alibre Assembly. It has 240+ parts in it.

Has Alibre (or this group) come up with a method to rename each of the components, short of going in and manually changing each part name then replacing each part when the assembly opens and the part is not found

Surely there's a simpler way that I'm not aware of

Thanks

Paul

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Renaming files is one major benefit I often use in Alibre Vault / M-Files. Part names are separate from the link to the file and can be easily changed in M-Files. I hope the Alibre PDM includes or exceeds that ability.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I think that's what I indicated was done.
Yes, only if they follow a pattern. Parts aren't always in a pattern or you'll need many patterns. At that point is the benefit a curse. Turning them into subassemblies has a similar effect but you can at least work on a subassembly isolated from the parent saving resources.

edit:
I have assembly patterns within subassemblies. My point is simply that they all come with unique tradeoffs specific to the work being done.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Renaming files is one major benefit I often use in Alibre Vault / M-Files. Part names are separate from the link to the file and can be easily changed in M-Files. I hope the Alibre PDM includes or exceeds that ability.
But sadly you'll need PDM. I had M-Files with my first license and loved it. Rename and replacing files or references is very common and is the purpose of PDM. Yes it's not always linked to file names but when checking in a new file that action may trigger a revision but not change the internal ID of the reference it will replace. Systems are different so my statements are likely wrong... M-files was the best PDM system I've used and was easy to manage.