What's new

How to tackle this one?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I went back and did some clean-up on the Boolean part for this model. The package file contains the updated model and Boolean part. And I uploaded the Boolean 2way slot tool separately so anyone can "experiment" with it although it will be downloaded in the package file too.

The result of the clean-up is that it adds a lead-in at the top of the slot and there is no need to Remove Faces on the model after the Boolean feature.

1662232912774.png

I recorded a short video that explains, I hope, clearly enough the what and how for this model.

Hello @HaroldL ,

would you mind making the hole from your boolean part smaller, like 3mm (for a much thicker wall of the tube...) and post the result?

Regards
Stefan
As I explained in the video, there are parameters in the model that can be edited to change the size of the Boolean tool to whatever you may need. Hopefully that will help with your request.

As I recall, there used to be a place on Alibre.com for sample scripts. I cannot find that now that the web site has been redesigned. In that list of sample scripts there was one that would create a helical slot by mimicking the movement of a cutter along a helical path. It left a series of small circular faces from the cutter but the end result didn't look that bad. Maybe, if anyone knows what happened to that script, it could be downloaded to give it a try for this modeling task.

Attachments

• HDB Actuator Shaft V1-1 Boolean v2.AD_PKG
    392.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2way slot tool.AD_PRT
    499 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
As I recall, there used to be a place on Alibre.com for sample scripts.
After some digging I found the script:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
could you make an assembly and add as 2nd part the plug that fits?
Stefan, Is this what you have in mind? :confused: I modeled the "plug" as my best guess off the image of the Switch lever in a previous post.

1662243334679.png

Last edited:

OzBrand

It wasn't difficult at all, and only took a few minutes.
A few minutes is what I was hoping for! Yep, we're metric in this part of the world, from mid 70's IIRC. Anyway, thanks all for your input, time to put this baby to bed.

Cheers, Mike

idslk

Alibre Super User
Stefan, Is this what you have in mind?
Yes, and if you have constained the plug to the middele axis you can try to manually move the plug along the way (if we would have a "polyline constraint" it would be very easy...). If you do this, you will notice that the "guide pin" does not have an ideal contact to the curve. I haven't figured out how to get nearer to the "toolcuting" path (where the script was made by Andy after i made a manual proposal how to do it...Later it was copied to the support section...). What is your opinion to the amount of work you put into your solution (btw. nice work)?

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yes, and if you have constained the plug to the middele axis you can try to manually move the plug along the way (if we would have a "polyline constraint" it would be very easy...). If you do this, you will notice that the "guide pin" does not have an ideal contact to the curve. I haven't figured out how to get nearer to the "toolcuting" path (where the script was made by Andy after i made a manual proposal how to do it...Later it was copied to the support section...). What is your opinion to the amount of work you put into your solution (btw. nice work)?

Regards
Stefan
Stefan, Yes I did constrain the plug to the axis of the part. I then moved it along the slot and noticed that there are some places where it is a bit tight for the pin to navigate through the slot. I tried applying a Tangent constraint but that didn't work.

Once I got the idea to incorporate two helical features to create the slot feature it didn't take too long to create it. Fine tuning it is what takes the time.

Looking at the solution that @MilesH posted a link to seems like it may be a better solution but it would take me some time to figure out the settings for the helix since I haven't done much with the Helical tool other than screw threads and an occasional spring.

What Alibre needs is something akin to the Advanced Swept Cut feature that SolidWorks has. That will sweep a cutting tool along a path more like actual machining the feature on a part. I think that is what the Tool Cutting script by Brian Vieira I linked to in my previous post attempts to do. Is that the script you mentioned?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Looking at the solution that @MilesH posted a link to seems like it may be a better solution but it would take me some time to figure out the settings for the helix since I haven't done much with the Helical tool other than screw threads and an occasional spring.

What Alibre needs is something akin to the Advanced Swept Cut feature that SolidWorks has. That will sweep a cutting tool along a path more like actual machining the feature on a part. I think that is what the Tool Cutting script by Brian Vieira I linked to in my previous post attempts to do. Is that the script you mentioned?
It would be great to have that Advanced Swept Cut feature......

More on this theme from the archive:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Sorry for the different geometry... (I've used a picture of an bayonet comming from my memory for the design...)
Also it's more concept of how it could work...:
1662292973300.png

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Bayonet_wrap_loft.AD_PRT
    844 KB · Views: 6

idslk

Alibre Super User
Were they created with a script or manually?
the first test ist ofcourse manually. These are all the "same sketches" copied along the 3D-sketch-Planes. :) Not sure if it is worth to make a script for that...

Regards
Stefan