What's new

How's Your V9 Doing?

leeave96

How's Your V9 Doing?

I am still on 8.2 at the house and am getting ready to download V9 here at work for some trials.

How's it working out for you?

For me, V8.2 has been VERY stable and a great release. I don't want to screw-up something with V9, hence my question.

BTW, I have standard plus repositories, part library and sheet metal.

Thanks!
Bill

indesign

Alibre Super User

So far very well with the service pack installed. My biggest complaint is not being able to share files with Xpress users. The only other drawback I have is with the standard version you loose the ability to have layers in assembly (replaced with configurations not given to standard users).

Otherwise make sure to get the service pack or you will creep in drawings.

scarr

I've been quite pleased with V9's performance. In the three years I've been using Alibre, I have yet to have a major issue with any of the upgrades. I run XP Pro, on a 2.6 Ghz machine with 1 gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9600 Graphics card, I run a host of security programs including Zone Alarm, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender. It's not that I haven't had minor problems with Alibre, but all were solved by a phone cal or an e-mail in less than 24 hours. I don't know about the rest of you, but that is an extremely good help desk response/resolution average. I work in IT and if we solved all our cases in as little time with such good results we wouldn't be know as the Borg or the 'Dark Side' and if all of our upgrade rollouts worked half as well as Alibre's we'd be known as heros.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

V9 Xpress installation from Alibre v9 setup download:
I have installed the v9 setup from the Alibre website to upgrade my grandsons v8.2 Xpress installation to v9. While there is not yet the ability to register v9, nor a server, it does retain all the registered features of 8.2 and the post 100k 10 part count limit from the v8 installation.

After using it to test V9 generated parts and configurations during the last 2 days, I am confident enough to recommend to those using Xpress as a reader, that they can upgrade their customers using Xpress. Try it for yourself to make sure, but I am not waiting for the official release of Xpress 9.

I would install Xpress, and register before upgrading to v9. I have not tried a v9 xpress installation on a machine without Xpress 8 as I have run out of DirectX 9 supported machines (and tried the patience of my grandson who gets bumped off his computer for my testing).

A note on Configuration functionality: While standard and Xpress users can not modify the features in any configuration other than the current/saved configuration; changes CAN be made to the unmodifiable configurations via the equation editor. For a simple rectangular feature, the Width, Length, Thickness/depth can be changed by changing the values in the equation editor. So you can modify the dimensions driving a feature as long as there is an entry in the equation editor, and you have left paramater values unlocked for that configuration when it was saved.