What's new

I-DEAS file format

sallen

I-DEAS file format

Hi,
I have a customer with a bunch of I-DEAS CAD files. They just have the the files. They do not have the I-DEAS CAD package. I'd like to find some way to convert to a more vendor nuetral format so I can import into Alibre.

Any ideas?

What format is best?

Thanks,
Steve

swertel

Alibre Super User

Since they are native I-deas, the best you can do is ask if someone has UG/NX or Solid Edge to open them up. I don't think anyone else has a native I-deas importer.

Other than that, if you can find a seat of I-deas, it outputs to IGES really well. Although it's not the best for solid models, STEP, Parasolid, or SAT would be preferred, I-deas doesn't convert to those others very well.

How much is it worth to you? Send me PM if you want to arrange a sample and see if it is possible.

--Scott

sallen

Scott.
I'm interested in exploring this further. I sent you a PM.

Regards,
Steve

swertel said:
Since they are native I-deas, the best you can do is ask if someone has UG/NX or Solid Edge to open them up. I don't think anyone else has a native I-deas importer.

Other than that, if you can find a seat of I-deas, it outputs to IGES really well. Although it's not the best for solid models, STEP, Parasolid, or SAT would be preferred, I-deas doesn't convert to those others very well.

How much is it worth to you? Send me PM if you want to arrange a sample and see if it is possible.

--Scott