What's new

IGES import problems

IGES import problems

Any tricks on importing IGES files with Alibre?
I've received IGES files (not exported from AutoCAD or Inventor) from three different customers that Alibre cannot open, but AutoCAD 2000i could (with no errors).

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

You could not import the IGES at all, or did it import with errors? I have imported some complex parts with both IGES and STEP and have not come across a file that would not import at all yet. I have seen problems with some imports. For example, fillets not coming in as good with STEP compared to IGES.

IGES

This last one that did not open was an IGES model file from CATIA.
I’m a metal stamping tool designer, the files are coming from various high-end sheet metal packages or modules.
While I was ranting at the Alibre support guy, I think I’ve stumbled on one of the problems. They might have been wire-frame IGES files that Alibre could not “turn into solid”. But this is really bothersome, how do I know what errors where encountered. I tried several variations of options on the import dialog, but still no luck…just “file had errors.” On the other hand, if the file imports and was “healed” or “turned into a solid”, how do I know what Alibre actions have taken place?
Is there an import error log file?
Alibre also suggested, that I ask the customer to send another file. Well that is a good idea on the surface, but it sinks in the bureaucratic idiosyncrasies of middleman in both companies. It takes a little time to establish and verify file exchange between companies that have contracts with us. But this is at the quotation phase with a new customer, so I’m losing time. In most cases, at the quote phase, I get whatever they want to send.

scarr

Catia Conversion Problems

Todd, what version of Catia are they using V4 or V5.? V4 conversions are notouriously buggy. It would be hard to believe nayone running Catia would still be working primarily in wireframe - kind of like buying a tank to till the garden. Can they send you a STEP file instead?