What's new

I'M SO NEW ...Are there any new AutoCAD students out there ?

Bluesky

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: 10/12/04 Help !! Are there any new AutoCAD students out there ? This is my first year and it is fun, and a bit scary. I'm studying Architectural applications for AutoCAD and would appreciate any personal insight on 2D and 3D rendering "worst work" my 1st/2nd year..."best work" stories would sure be uplifting for a new student ! As my experience grows...help please with my designer "wisdom" development ! Thank You. Bluesky.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Not to deter you, but this is an Alibre forum, not AutoCAD.

Alibre is a 3D solid modeling MCAD (mechanical CAD) package, not a 2D or 3D architectural package.

Perhaps you can elaborate more on what you looking for.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Scott is right, Alibre and Autocad are somewhat different. You could certainly design a house with Alibre, but there are far easier ways because Alibre is designed as a Mechanical, not Architectural software. The other day I was with a friend (Architect) and he was using "ArchiCad". It seemed to me a lot better suited for architecturarl design than AutoCad. Nohing to loose if you take a look at it. :D

There's a lot of us (Alibre users) who are comming from AutoCad (like myself). But none of us are architects. We use CAD for mechanical design.

Anyway, I congratulate you on being active in the subject of contacting people with experience in your field. That's the attitude that will get you where they are faster than they got there :wink:

If I can help you with any particular ACad subject, please send me a PM. I'm sure some others here would also help, but the forum is dedicated to discuss the use of Alibre.

Keep it up Bluesky, I see nothing but that (blue skies) ahead for you :D

Willbur

As Scott and Gaspar stated, this forum doesn't really focus on architecture since Alibre Design by nature is a mechanical design package (I suppose you could to architectural design with it, but it would take far longer than something like AutoCAD or ArchiCAD).

Like Gaspar, I've come from an AutoCAD background (and still use the LT version for electrical schematics and such since it's much easier to use than Alibre for such 2D applications). I actually did some architectural work with AutoCAD back in v12 (DOS-based) so you can send me a PM if you want. Interestingly enough, that was when I got my first taste of parametric modeling with an add-on to v12 called Designer....

rbrian

Architectural Design and New Students!

Hi Bluesky! Great beginning to a new world! You have bumped out of the edges of AutoCAD, and found ALIBRE DESIGN!

So - Do you want to design fittings for an Earthquake resitant house? Super - you can use both tools together!

But - If you want a super tool for Architectural quick renderings and proposals - I sugest you look at SketchUp! (My idea)
(http://www.sketchup.com/)

If you are looking to get a handle on using Alibre Design - check out the company's included tutorials that came with the program, and then have a look at mine! If you need more - then get the 4-CD set with a great set of tutorials on them! Robert

rbrian

BlueSky - Learning - So NEW - Try this...

Hi BlueSky,

Just a follow up - It has been about a month since I posted the latest Tutorial - Exercise 8: Sweep,
Foot-Scrubber-1 Exercise - Complete, Just Click Here to go there and see it! Robert