What's new

Input Lag When Using MMB for Rotation

CNC Crasher

One of the first things I did when trying out Atom3D was switching from L + R Mouse Button Hold to Middle Mouse Button for rotating my view. But I noticed that there was this weird input lag. If my mouse cursor velocity was below a certain threshold, the view would not rotate. I'd have to jerk my mouse initially to get the rotation to kick in, and then it would smoothly follow my mouse movements. Has anyone else observed this?

Screen capture of behaviour:
Skip to 16:44

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not see the issues you have, but after watching the video, I suggest reading the manual or watching a couple of Alibre tutorial video's would have helped you and stopped me shouting at the screen as you tried to figure basic stuff out!! ;)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You mention switching mouse behaviour - is the issue you report present only with your changed rotation selection, or is it present with the original rotation selection too ?

CNC Crasher

You mention switching mouse behaviour - is the issue you report present only with your changed rotation selection, or is it present with the original rotation selection too ?
The UI responds perfectly when I use the default rotation command. It's only when I switch to middle mouse button that it has that velocity-delay.

@simonb65, There's no fun in reading the manual. I was intentionally trying to see how intuitive Atom3D was.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm - I tried changing my mouse interaction settings. Didn't notice any difference in behaviour (apart from which button combo to use for which function).

Can you supply full details of your custom mouse config, in case it is a very specific combination that causes the issue? Roughly what time in that video you posted is the behaviour shown?

CNC Crasher

Hmm - I tried changing my mouse interaction settings. Didn't notice any difference in behaviour (apart from which button combo to use for which function).

Can you supply full details of your custom mouse config, in case it is a very specific combination that causes the issue? Roughly what time in that video you posted is the behaviour shown?

Oh, looks like the embed command stripped out the timecode. It's about 16:44 when I start really noticing the bahavior. I make small mouse movements while holding down middle mouse button and nothing happens. Then I make a big movement and suddenly the part starts rotating with my mouse movements.

Using a Razer Deathadder2013 mouse, rotation control set to middle mouse button in Atom3D settings.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
And what other mouse settings in Atom3D mouse interaction ? I've set middle button for rotation and not seen any odd behaviour, but maybe I had the other options set differently to you in the custom profile...

No problem - have now seen the settings in your video.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK - I can replicate that, IF I set pointer speed to a low setting in Windows. I normally have pointer speed set at the fast end of the slider, so don't see the issue.

I'll alert QA to check this out.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
For do a rotation with my old Targus mouse only I need press the left and right button at the same time.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
For do a rotation with my old Targus mouse only I need press the left and right button at the same time.
Watch his video in the OP. He remaps the buttons to behave more like an existing CAD package that he's more familiar with.

DesignTime

Administrator
Staff member
One of the first things I did when trying out Atom3D was switching from L + R Mouse Button Hold to Middle Mouse Button for rotating my view. But I noticed that there was this weird input lag. If my mouse cursor velocity was below a certain threshold, the view would not rotate. I'd have to jerk my mouse initially to get the rotation to kick in, and then it would smoothly follow my mouse movements. Has anyone else observed this?

Screen capture of behaviour:

Hi CNC Crasher, great feedback on your first run at Alibre Atom3D. Looking forward to your next video on it. For turning the snapping off you were so close. You had gone into the Drawing -> Sketching option, but instead were needing to go into the Parts/Assemblies -> Sketching option.

In Alibre Atom3D Parts and Assemblies will be your 3D workspaces, and Drawings will be your 2D workspace.

upload_2019-11-14_17-24-50.png

Best Regards,

DesignTime

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
FYI Alibre Design Pro and Alibre Design Expert do give you many more tools that shorten the the workload.
Including Rectangle by center, Rectangle by three points, shape arrays, optional and customizable horizontal and/or vertical toolbars (it looked like you were looking for this), optional menu bar, more spline create/edit tools (though spline tools could use some improvement) and much more.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Also I do see the delay when holding the middle mouse button but only when I intentionally move only a pixel or two or three per second. Very hard to do on my system but it affects not only rotate but it seems anything assigned to the middle mouse.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Watch his video in the OP. He remaps the buttons to behave more like an existing CAD package that he's more familiar with.
Yes of course I watch the video. Only I said that pressing the mouse's right and left button at the same time is perfect for me and use it since AD11.2 without any issues and complication. AD only need more "Design" features. That is for me the priority.
CNC Crasher: Nice YouTube Channel.