What's new

Inserting a DXF drawing

GordonL

I have been trying to make a gear. I tried downloading a 3D part but the modification options are limited. I then downloaded a DXF file, loaded it into my 2D cad program, removed everything except the gear face. Then I loaded the DXF file into Alibre, selected and copied everything and then pasted it into a new part drawing. The problem is that it pastes it out in space some place. Since it is a complex part it is not fully defined and it would be extremely difficult to actually try to fully define it. I made the center origin in my 2D program at 0, 0. I have not figured out how to move everything to the origin. I tried selecting everything, and trying to dimension the gear center to the origin at 0 X & Y but it only moves the center point. How do I move everything to the origin?

Attachments

• DP48T60.dxf
    57.9 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Use the Sketch Move tool.

Though even with the basic tools in Atom3D, you should should able to modify a 3D gear.

GordonL

OK My problem was with my 2D program. I was placing the center relative to the corner of the sheet instead of absolute where I could move it to X=0 Y=0. Once I figured it out I was able to import it to the correct position but unfortunately there were too many overlapping and incomplete features to actually extrude them.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, many DXF files produced in 2D CAD can be a complete mess and need a lot of tidying before being useful in 3D CAD. In 2D the outline only needs to look OK on the sheet - often the lines don't actually join up exactly to produce a closed profile.

In Alibre 2D, origin is at bottom left of sheet (common with many other systems) - origin in 3D part (2D sketch) is where the default reference planes all intersect.

bolsover

@GordonL
You could try out the gear generator I have written - It's an Add-On. Works with V25.
It will generate involute gears and has several options that allow you to adjust the module, pressure angle and working centre distance.
Installer and source code here: Utilities
David