What's new

Installing Atom on computer running the old original version of Alibre

Bowber

Hi

I've just bought Alibre Atom, when I tried to install Atom it found my old version of Alibre and said it couldn't update it so I needed to remove the old version before carrying on, no option to install to a different folder or drive.
I have the old original Alibre (the one with the old licence files that no longer work), however I'd rather keep the original Alibre working until I'm happy with the new Atom version. Also if I remove the old version that it gone as the licence server is no longer there.

I'm just a hobby user so there's nothing super critical file wise if I do have to remove the old version, and I suspect Atom will open most of the files, but it would be nice to have the option.
So does anyone know how I can do this, or if it's even possible?

The original version is 2012 Personal Edition

Thanks
Steve

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
As @Max stated before on the forum only from v25 going forward will you be able to have two versions of Alibre on the same computer. Since you have v2012 loaded you will need to remove it before you can install Atom v25. If you have a separate computer then you could install Atom on that one. Atom should open any file that has features that Atom can reproduce. You can only try to open them and see if it works.

What do you mean by "the one with the old licence files that no longer work"? Does the program still start?

Bowber

Thanks for the reply.

I should re read my posts before posting them :)

The old version still works, it's the license server that doesn't work, so I can't reinstall 2012 if I need to.
I'll install atom on my office computer to see if it can open all my old files, the computer at home is the one I want to use for Atom though as this is just hobby use. I've been using Fusion 360 but I don't need 99% of it's features and struggle to find the ones I do need, but I was starting to get used to it. Alibre always seemed to work how I expected it to hence buying Atom on a discount offer.

Steve

Bowber

I've installed Atom on my office computer and it looks like it's opening all my old files so far, including a simple assembly, so it looks like I may as well remove the old version from my home computer.

Thanks
Steve