What's new

Is extra "save" sequence still the same from V24 to V25?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I want to check the colors of an assembly so I...
1: Click open on the home screen - assembly thumbnail screen opens
2: Click on the assembly I want
3: Click on the "OPEN" button at the bottom of the screen
4: Assembly screen opens
5: I check the colors and do absolutely nothing else. (sitting on my hands)
Colors look good.
6: I click on the close button at the upper right of screen.

And here is the issue...

The dialog screen that pops up says that I have made changes and haven't been saved. Do I want to save? Yes/No
7: I click on the No button and the assembly screen closes.

Why the extra click? When I have many assemblies in a model that I want to make that last check on colors, that can add up to many extra clicks and extra minutes, not just seconds.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The dialog screen that pops up says that I have made changes and haven't been saved. Do I want to save? Yes/N
I raised this prior to v24. In my opinion, if you open a file to view and don't edit geometry, then the file should not be flagged as modified and you shouldn't be asked to save. There were numerous reason why saves occur, but Open -> View -> Close should not be one of them! Hopefully v25 has gone a few more steps to stop annoyances like this as saving unedited files has a big knock on effect for businesses that have to revision control documents to strict, mostly customer and quality control driven, practices!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I thought I read on another thread that this idiosyncrasy was taken care of in v25? Could be wrong about that though.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When you say 'check the colours' - what exactly does that mean?

If I open an assembly in v24, open colour properties for a couple of parts (hitting cancel to close the colour properties) and then close the assembly I am not prompted for whether to save or not... the file just closes because nothing of significance has changed.

Perhaps you go further into a dialogue, or use an OK rather than a Cancel to close dialogue? Would be good to know, to determine whether the behaviour is as intended.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
When you say 'check the colours' - what exactly does that mean?
Check = verify, look at, observe -- Are the colors visually correct for what I want?

5: I check the colors and do absolutely nothing else. (sitting on my hands)
If colors are wrong then I change them and click the "YES" for save because I made a change. If colors are correct then I click the "NO" because I changed nothing.

If I open an assembly in v24, open colour properties for a couple of parts (hitting cancel to close the colour properties)
Please reread my original post. I believe you may have not followed my procedure exactly to the letter. I never open the color properties.

Perhaps you go further into a dialogue, or use an OK rather than a Cancel to close dialogue?
Not "perhaps", but definitely, I do exactly as is stated in my original post and do nothing between actions numbered 3 and 6. I never click "Cancel".
"Cancel" is not an option because I never opened the color properties.

There were numerous reason why saves occur, but Open -> View -> Close should not be one of them!
Open -> View -> Close is exactly what should be. Nothing more, nothing less.

6: I click on the close button at the upper right of screen.
That would be the "X" icon at the far upper right corner of my screen. AKA Alt+F4.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Perhaps you go further into a dialogue, or use an OK rather than a Cancel to close dialogue? Would be good to know, to determine whether the behaviour is as intended.
Not sure of the actual behaviour David (not at my PC at the moment), but an OK, with no change in the underlying data (i.e. no modified flag set) should be treated as a Cancel. If not, then it really should be. Maybe the OK shouldn't be enabled unless something has been edited (and by edited, I mean different from the value when the dialog box was opened, that's the smart way to do properties, etc). The dialog knows what that initial value was, as that's what it restores it to when you hit Cancel !

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of how you check colours - I'm not currently able to replicate the reported behaviour with v24.

If I open assembly, just look at it, move the viewport around, then close - there is no prompt about saving, it just closes.
Same if I do open colour properties but Cancel out of it.

Am trying to find out why oldfox system behaves differently....

Was v24 installed over an earlier version?

dwc

Alibre Super User
Are you sure you didn't change any of the parts of the assembly since the last assembly save?
If you have a part that is updated when opening the assembly that counts as a change in the assembly and triggers a save.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Am trying to find out why oldfox system behaves differently....
He's using the close ('X') button. So it depends if the Close function of the dialog is being handled as an OK or Cancel ! I suspect the former if it has different behaviour to you exiting using the Cancel button.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
NO>>>>>! I'm using the Close (X) button to close the file. There is no dialogue. That is the difference.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
NO>>>>>! I'm using the Close (X) button to close the file. There is no dialogue. That is the difference.
Ok, sorry @DavidJ , my bad ... maybe I should wait whilst I'm at my PC and actually try it!

The only time I've seen what the OP describes is when some of the sub-parts were written by an older version of Alibre and Alibre wanted to bring them up to the latest, but as you say, but I believe that specific case had been 'fixed' in V24 if nothing had actually been edited.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If the internal version number hasn't changed, there should be no prompt to save when closing the assembly.

There was a lot of work done such that internal version numbers are no longer changed by 'non design intent' changes - but of course possible that there are some less obvious cases that might need to be optimised.

If internal version number of a part changed since assembly was last saved (as Don pointed out), then the assembly will update its own version number, requiring a save.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

i've made a test.
Open an assembly, zoom, turn and close with X and and no question about saving.
Then i open a single part of the closed assembly and changed the length of the part (not a big change...) and saved it.
Then i opened the assembly again, turn, zoom and close with x and i got the question "Somthing has changed would you like to save...".
I think this is correct - there was a change in the assembly - not done in the open assembly window but in a part of the assembly!

Regards
Stefan

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Looking back through assemblies, going back to 2006, I find assemblies that open with the Save icon active and other assemblies of the same project that open with the Save icon inactive.
On an assembly from February 17 2022, recent enough to remember what I have done with it, I had changed the colors of parts in the part workspace. And probably let it go at that, never going back to save the assembly. Now I assume that that would be enough to trigger the Save icon to active each and every time I open the assembly and never doing anything more that as described in the original post. If that is the culprit... mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. I keep learning how to avoid "oopses" in Alibre.
I humbly apologize for any ruffled feathers I may have caused. Never my intent. It was only when I created a package of an assembly and was going to upload it here in the forum that I realized what was happening when I tried to open the package and it prompted for a file overwrite. Then I knew that everything was getting updated. duh!!!
So there is probably no more use for anyone to waste time on this issue. Thanks to everyone who replied. Like I said... always learning. ("Learn something new every day." oldfox)

And what dwc said was the brain tickler. Thanks dwc