What's new

Is there a way to call a script from within a script?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
What I am after is the last action of a script is to ask "Do you want to run X script?" and have it start if required.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello albie0803,

i haven't tried this with alibre script (it's possible in python...)
what would you accomplish with that?

Edit: Andy was faster...

Regards
Stefan

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I have my little gear creator script. At the end of it I would have it ask "Do you want to add a key way?" A yes response would trigger the next script.

I've had a little play after looking at the link and the call seems to expect the script being called to be in the python folder.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've thought about this a bit. Normal methods from google search didn't work. However I think If you build each script like function in a module then in theory you could import the file and call their functions. I was going to test but haven't yet.

Edit: I should have looked at what Andy linked. Modules are in the answer there.

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
It just said "Couldn't find module". I had it in the same directory as the one I was calling it from and the example I saw online had both files in the python directory.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Actually I tried execfile and it seems to run a script just fine but it seems you have no control over it from this script (except how the script reacts to current variables).
Code:
import os
#replace OtherScript with name of script saved in the same folder as this script.
myscript = os.path.join(ScriptFolder,'OtherScript.py')
execfile(myscript)

# if this script is not saved then ScriptFolder will be null and the path will have to be hardcoded instead.
#execfile(r"C:\Users\Gamer\Documents\Alibre Script Library\Scripts\ColorNew.py")

Making and importing a module would give much more control but is much more difficult so I have removed my previous post.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
NOTE OF CAUTION: execfile() will act as if the other script was copied and pasted exactly right there in your script.
It will see your variables and can change them. This could easily mess up one or both script from running the way they did before.
You can limit the variables by providing execfile() with empty dictionary or limited dictionary but that has issues as well.
For example this is empty:
Code:
execfile(r"C:\your\path\here\OtherScript.py",{})
But that blocks many build in AlibreScript things so you need to explicitly provide them.
For example here are only a few of the things the script might need to run correctly:
Code:
execfile(r"C:\your\path\here\OtherScript.py",{'Windows':Windows, 'Units':Units, 'UnitTypes':UnitTypes, 'sys':sys, 'CurrentAssembly':CurrentAssembly, 'CurrentPart':CurrentPart})

Also note: I'm not an expert in python. I'm learning as I go so I have before and will in the future get things wrong.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
METHOD 1

ModuleA.py:
Code:
def DoSomething(value):
  return value + 1

ModuleB.py (in the same folder as ModuleA.py):
Code:
import imp

ModuleA = imp.load_source('ModuleA', ScriptFolder + r'\ModuleA.py')

print ModuleA.DoSomething(5)

Andy

ajayre

Alibre Super User
METHOD 2

ModuleA.py:
Code:
def DoSomething(value):
  return value + 1

ModuleB.py (in the same folder as ModuleA.py):
Code:
sys.path.append(ScriptFolder)