What's new

Is there a way to default to Maintain Association with Project to Sketch?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Not for those of us that rarely use it.

You don't think having the option to set it to default would be acceptable to those who rarely use it?

If it is an OPTION, could the person who rarely uses it, just opt to not set that to default? If it were a simple system setting like a checkbox, radio button or similar, it seems that one could turn it off just as easily as they turned it on.

Maybe instead of an option to set it default, having it remember and maintain the last selection would be better?

Last edited:

Stu3d

I find that 95% of the time I want to have the Maintain Association with the Project to Sketch. This is an extra click of the checkbox every time.

Is there a way to default this to true?
I have been banging on about this for a while as well as having the option of setting default to create reference figure instead of create sketch figure. Alternative to the latter would be to have the selected option persistant so it's the same next time. I find myself changing both settings most of the time.

Last edited:

sacherjj

I have been banging on about this for a while as well as having the option of setting default to create reference figure instead of create sketch figure. Alternative to the latter would be to have the selected option persistant so it's the same next time. I find myself changing both settings most of the time.
Was just coming here to follow up with and if we can default to reference as well that would be great.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
You can use the sketch tool popup menu to project and maintain associations within a sketch, saving a few clicks. It might not be exactly what you're asking for but I find it to be faster than using the dialog box.

1707189636520.png

sacherjj

I'm asking for the ability to allow Maintain Associativity to be checked on open and allow setting which is the default geometry.

Just a few clicks each time is thousands of clicks when modeling. Good software optimizes when possible to minimize the operators work.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Just a few clicks each time is thousands of clicks when modeling. Good software optimizes when possible to minimize the operators work.

What works for you may not be that which works for others.
I would be clicking to uncheck every time.
I would accept having the last state carried over as a good compromise.

sacherjj

What works for you may not be that which works for others.
I would be clicking to uncheck every time.
I would accept having the last state carried over as a good compromise.
I completely understand that. THIS IS WHY IT SHOULD BE A SETTING.

I would set it as on, you would set it as off. It would work best for both of us. It currently only works best for one of us.

I would set it as reference as well, you might not. As a setting it would work best for both of us as well.

sz0k30

You don't think having the option to set it to default would be acceptable to those who rarely use it?

If it is an OPTION, could the person who rarely uses it, just opt to not set that to default? If it were a simple system setting like a checkbox, radio button or similar, it seems that one could turn it off just as easily as they turned it on.

Maybe instead of an option to set it default, having it remember and maintain the last selection would be better?
What I meant was: the option to change the default at users discretion would be great. Alibre just changing it from to the other is not.

sacherjj

What I meant was: the option to change the default at users discretion would be great. Alibre just changing it from to the other is not.
Yes, when doing software modifications the default behavior should remain if possible. So in this situation, if the two settings were added, it would default to current mode and allow users to modify it to fit there needs.

Stu3d

I just created the first model (24-SPO-24) that was on TooTallTobys tournament yesterday. I had to change to reference figure in project to sketch 7 times, not once did I need a sketch figure. It might be something to do with my bad workflow but frustrating all the same. For speed I didn't bother with maintain association like I normally would but that would have been another 7 clicks :(
Another thing that slowed me down was the dropdown menu to choose To Depth, Through All etc in Extrude, Extrude Cut etc which has been discussed recently. I selected Through All twice out of 8 extrusions, it could have been more but by chance the To Depth dimension was enough to do the job elsewhere.