What's new

Is there a way to quickly force a line to be orthogonal while sketching?

Stu3d

I appreciate there are 2 ways to make a line horizontal or vertical.
1. Move the cursor close enough to horizontal or vertical for an automatic constraint to apply, this can be a bit fiddly. I tried increasing the Snap Threshold to it's maximum of 5mm but that didn't help.
2. Apply a horizontal or vertical constraint after drawing the line, this is an extra step.
Both methods slow me down.

In the 2d cad software I use I can toggle orthogonal on or off by typing the 2 letter command OR (bound to a function key) and this forces the line I am drawing to be horizontal/vertical or free roaming.
I can temprarily change the toggle by holding down the CTRL key which is very useful.

In Alibre is there a way to temporarily force a sketch line to be orthogonal or some other tip I am unaware of to speed things up a bit?

An excellent solution would be a setting to adjust the automatic horizontal/vertical constraint sensitivity, similar to the Snap Threshold setting in Settings > Parts/Assemblies > Sketching.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Options include apply perpendicular constraint manually, or make sure constraint inferencing is set up to suit

See also the entry on suspending inferencing..

Inferencing doesn't force things, but is intended to help with sketching...

Stu3d

Options include apply perpendicular constraint manually, or make sure constraint inferencing is set up to suit

See also the entry on suspending inferencing..

Inferencing doesn't force things, but is intended to help with sketching...
Thank you for reminding me about that menu... again. I noticed you told me about it a year ago for a different reason. Easily forgotten about as it isn't included in System Options.
Shame there is no setting in there similar to Snap Threshold. Inferencing appears to cut in at around 1 degree from horizontal or vertical, being able to set it a degree or two more would help.

I have experimented with a couple of good quality high resolutoin wired mice as opposed to cheap wireless mice which I use on both laptops, that has improved the inferencing a lot.

On a side note, after entering & exiting that menu none of my sketch related keyboard shortcuts work, I have to save, exit and go back in.