What's new

Joint Creator Script Error (??)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I am creating a box with sides that are 1/4" plywood (.230 measured and modeled). I have dado slots cut in the sides and ends to locate the bottom.
When I run the Joint Creator script on a model it only cuts to half the thickness of the part. Are the dado slots causing this issue or is there something else I should be looking for?
HalfDepthJoint.png

And I'll ask again, Can the sketch patterns be changed to Feature patterns? I haven't seen an answer to that yet, as I recall. It would make it a lot easier if minor changes need to be made to the joints rather than deleting and recreating them.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Without checking the script; I imagine that it is picking up the depth from the dado slots on the bottom. Perhaps suppress them, run the script, then unsuppress them.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Nate thanks for the feedback. I suspected the dados were the issue so I suppressed them and the joint was created properly. On one trial run I suppressed the dado on one part only and on that part the cut was the same depth as the dado.
Just have to remember the limitations until the script can be updated, if it ever will.

Too bad script won't allow for Feature Patterns though. Having all those unconstrained sketch figures makes me a bit nervous about how the features get created.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Having all those unconstrained sketch figures makes me a bit nervous about how the features get created.
I've been working on a smarter auto-constraint/auto-dimension script for a while for this very reason. The Alibre Design built-in auto-constraint/auto-dimension tool is not very "human" about how it works. I've setup my script to my method of constraining/dimensioning imported sketches. I've got further to go to have it fully define sketches but I've run it on some imported sketches and it drastically reduces my time doing so. Once I'm further I'll release it as a tool along with a function for anyone to use in their script.