What's new

Joints

beastro

Hi,

Apparently, there is a tool in Fusion360 to split an object into two using a "cutting tool". I attach the image of a friend who is using this to make joints for 3d prints.
Short of using a boolean subtract, which would leave you with two half pieces of the same part that cannot be easily hidden individually, I don't recall that we can do this in Alibre. Or can we?

Regards
Berthold

Attachments

• joint.jpg
    joint.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 24

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think this is something that @DavidJ described in another post thread. It used Thin Extrude Cut and I think Thin Extrude is only available in Pro or Expert. Check your installation to see if you have it.

EDIT: I recorded a short video of David's process:

Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Thin Extrude Cut is convenient but doesn't allow anything that can't also be done using an ordinary Extrude Cut.....

Last edited:

beastro

I think this is something that @DavidJ described in another post thread. It used Thin Extrude Cut and I think Thin Extrude is only available in Pro or Expert. Check your installation to see if you have it.

EDIT: I recorded a short video of David's process:

Hi Harold,

Sorry for the late reply! I was out of town and did not check back on the forum until today.

Great video! Thank you so much for the information. I was not aware that thin extrude does not require a closed sketch for extrusion.
Instead of saving as separate files, I would probably just create different configurations though.

Considering the utility of different interlinking connections for 3d printed parts, a script that creates those linking shapes would be quite useful. Has anybody done something like that already?

Kind regards

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Hi Harold,

Sorry for the late reply! I was out of town and did not check back on the forum until today.

Great video! Thank you so much for the information. I was not aware that thin extrude does not require a closed sketch for extrusion.
Instead of saving as separate files, I would probably just create different configurations though.

Considering the utility of different interlinking connections for 3d printed parts, a script that creates those linking shapes would be quite useful. Has anybody done something like that already?

Kind regards
Yeah, configurations would be a good choice too.

Have no idea if anyone has worked on a script for this. Considering the variety of cutter shapes and size/shape of parts to partition it may be a challenge to script although something akin to the broken view in the 2D drawing where you have a selection of cutting profiles, maybe something could be done.