What's new

Keyshot CAD HD - what's the difference?

Latitude

Hi,

I was trying to figure out the difference between Keyshot HD and Keyshot CAD HD - is it just that there is no limit on the output filesize for a render?

Thank you.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The 'CAD' bit indicates that the licence is provided from a CAD system (rather than purchased direct from Keyshot). The CAD company can have the exact capability of Keyshot customised somewhat.

The default Keyshot for CAD had a rather limited max pixel count output. The Alibre version was customised some years ago to remove that restriction - that's maybe where 'HD' comes from (I haven't seen a Keyshot HD listed on the Keyshot web site).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Keyshot CAD HD 11.2.1 is available for download from Alibre downloads pages.

Abhijit

Yes the Version Comparison pdf you shared above accurately compares the differences.
In real world usage, CAD HD is highly limited by only allowing Native CAD formats to be pushed to Keyshot.

Ie. You will be restricted to Basic Texture Mapping options, cannot use UV Unwrapping for examples model exported from Alibre, Unwrapped in Blender/Rizom, textured in Substance and brought into Keyshot either directly or via Alibre.
Afaik Alibre has no mesh import formats which can keep a UV map to pivot around this issue.

Bottom line is Keyshot CAD HD is only good for basic visuals and will hit it's limits for even decent photoreal Product Vis use case.
I see little point in learning & using CAD HD compared to other offerings.

Last edited: