What's new

Keyshot edge rounding left out of KS for 3D Systems?

JST

Alibre Super User
The feature list for regular base level Keyshot states the following is in all versions:

"Rounded Edges

Turn sharp edges on an imported model into beautiful, small rounded edges and fillets with simple slider."

So far I have been totally unable to locate this function in KS for 3DS. It would be good for reducing the "level of perfection" seen in some models. But I cannot find it.

Anyone know if it's there, or was left out?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Select an individual part in the Keyshot scene tree, then round edges becomes available in its properties.

I did a quick web search on this and found a thread in Keyshot user forum - round edges only seems to work on one part at a time, not multiple selections.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Note that the slider only goes up to the value 1, but you can manually enter larger values into the box for more aggressive rounding.

Andy

JST

Alibre Super User
Thank you.

I searched in forums, but didn't just google search. Must have held my mouth wrong, as I never saw any references.....

BTW, you also seem to have to be in the "scene" tab, as that's where it is, and it does not "find" the option if you are in another "project" tab when you select the part. So it's even harder to find when in the program.

And, it is less useful than I thought, as it is non-selective, it rounds everything the same. You can't do it by surface, by face, "exterior only", etc. Probably often best to do it all in the model, as much of a pain as that is. A part with some "formed" features, and some "cut" features will show up with all edges rounded, which does not look "real". Would work fine for many things, just not all things.

Per sliders:
Yes, the slider is not a limit. In fact with most of the sliders, they are "self-centering": If you enter a value, or re-position them, they re-position themselves in the middle at your set value, with a range on each side, but that slider range does not reflect nor limit the available values. They have a limited valid range, but the slider may cover only part of it at a time.