What's new

Keyshot ignores exploded views?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So I have an assembly that I want to render in exploded view for brochure purposes but when I export the exploded view as a .bip and open it in Keyshot it just shows the assembled view :( :roll:

Is this a case of I have to create a separate config with the parts exploded including in each sub-assembly? That's a lot of extra work...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Depending on which version of Keyshot you have you have some choices inside of KS.
You can create an exploded view in KS and save it as a Scene Set.
If you have KS animation, then creating an animated exploded view allows you to time the parts and render out a single frame of the exploded view.
Granted, not as clean or nice as being able to pass the exploded view from CAD to KS but it does work.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yes I can explode it in KS but I need to create the exploded view in GD anyway for the sake of the GA drawing. Was hoping not to have to repeat the process... :|

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
. . . Was hoping not to have to repeat the process... :|

Yeah. . . I get what you mean now. I saw in the v7 sneak peek that configurations are mentioned but not if it imports configs or if you have to set them up in KS. Even if they were imported I have my doubts that it would support configs coming out of GMD since that plugin is from 3DSystems, and we all know how "on the ball" they are.

JL82

I have exported the assembly -> *.SAT 5.0 or 7.0. on exploded view and imported back to GD.

1. Export 123.ad_asm (on exploded view) -> 123.SAT (5.0 or 7.0)
2. Import 123.SAT
3. Export 123.SAT -> 123.STEP
4. Import 123.STEP and save 123_EXPLODED.ad_asm

JST

Alibre Super User
Is there any way to save an exploded view in a model as an actual model?

I don't know of one, but that would be the right way.... a "save as exploded model" selection.