What's new

Laptop with Dual Graphics (no mux) Display Options Issue

Ex Machina

I have mentioned this on another thread but the issue was not resolved. To my knowledge, this does not impact the performance of the software, in the sense that you can set it so it performs well, but it could create confusion for some users as it did for me.

The problem started when I upgraded from v24 to v25. Performance was terrible and in the system options, it showed the discrete GPU being used.

My system has a Ryzen 7 5800h with an APU (AMD Radeon Graphics) and a mobile RTX3060. When I go to the Windows Graphics Performance preference settings and set Alibre to start with the NVidia GPU the performance degrades significantly, almost a slideshow on larger models, and the task manager reports that the AMD APU is being used. If I let Windows select, the system options in Alibre are set as per the attached image (AMD APU selected). However, the performance is great and the task manager reports the NVidia GPU being used.

On that other thread, Ralf suggested I handle the assignment through the NVidia control panel. I did that and it had the same behaviour as when I did it through the Windows Graphics Performance preferences. I am guessing this is a complex issue that has to do with my system's firmware, Windows and Alibre itself. However, this behaviour does not happen on any other software on my system so it would seem there is a way around it.

Is this a thing that happens on someone else's laptop too? Is this a known issue? Can anyone guess what's going on?

1670152088809.png

bweeks-beckerIT

Konstantinos, I've found I run into a similar problem on my Dell G15 5515. (And this applies for Alibre, AutoCAD, Fusion 360, etc). My solution has been to go into System -> Display -> Graphics, and select alibre.exe (for example), then click on the options button, and select 'High Performance' under the graphics prefences menu. (I've found this works for applications besides Alibre, such as AutoCAD, Davinci Resolve, Photoshop, etc).

Ex Machina

Thanks for the reply bweeks. The problem is that in my system if I do that (assign it to the NVidia GPU in Graphics) it uses Alibre to the AMD APU. And when I leave it to Windows, it says that it's using the AMD APU but it's using the NVidia GPU. Weird issue...

Adi

Try to force using Nvidia GPU for Alibre, in Nvidia settings (not in Windows setting- it doesnt' work in my case)- in Nvidia control panel, you have a possibility of asign specifics GPU to any program you have. After that opertion I can choose only one grapihics card in Alibre settings- an Nvidia GPU card.

Anyway, my Nvidia control Panel shows that AD uses Nvidia GPU only after part/assembly/drawing module is turned on. If only main window is on- AD still use integrated graphics card.

Ex Machina

Yup, done that too. And yes, when I force NVidia GPU it uses integrated after a file is opened. If I don't choose NVidia in the NVidia menu or Windows graphics, it then goes to it. Super weird actually.

Serenity

Alibre Support
Staff member

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Serenity,
My opinion is that, the graphic issue is a very big mistake of Alibre Design. The historical graph was superb, for its line fineness in Sketch mode and the visualization in part Workspace and assembly workspace mode. Only hoops should have improved this chart by making it more robust and acquiring the dynamic section features for inspection. I think that alibre's turn in this direction interrupted a beautiful tradition and potentiality. This is not a video game program. It is an engineering program where perfection is the important thing.
If we compare the weight of a file of a model of the same complexity made in Alibre D V11 and a recent version, we have that the file of the ADV11 version is much lighter.
It is a question of strategy in the face of an increasingly fierce competition between CAD programs.
I hope that AD comes to its senses and does not dilute the great opportunity it has to position itself as a good Mechanical Software of the immediate and mediate future.
43 FT Perspective View GBD.JPG

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Sometimes the Power and Sleep settings can interfere with the GPU connection in Alibre. If you notice that Alibre is using the NVIDIA GPU, but after sitting idle, it reverts to the AMD card, you may need to adjust the power and sleep settings to maintain the connection to your GPU. Please see the Help article linked below for steps on how to make these changes:
https://help.alibre.com/articles/#!alibre-help-v26/change-power-settings-to-maintain-gpu-connection
Hello Serenity,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this issue. Unfortunately, I have not noticed the behaviour you mentioned. If I set Windows to choose or select the AMD APU the software is always running on the Nvidia one, and vice versa, no switching between them.

Alibre is the only piece of software that behaves like that on my laptop. But I can get my work done so for now I am working like this.

Serenity

Alibre Support
Staff member
Hello Serenity,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this issue. Unfortunately, I have not noticed the behaviour you mentioned. If I set Windows to choose or select the AMD APU the software is always running on the Nvidia one, and vice versa, no switching between them.

Alibre is the only piece of software that behaves like that on my laptop. But I can get my work done so for now I am working like this.
Thank you for the clarification. I have brought your issue up internally for additional discussion/investigation. I will post again here with any updates.

Serenity

Alibre Support
Staff member
Serenity,
My opinion is that, the graphic issue is a very big mistake of Alibre Design. The historical graph was superb, for its line fineness in Sketch mode and the visualization in part Workspace and assembly workspace mode. Only hoops should have improved this chart by making it more robust and acquiring the dynamic section features for inspection. I think that alibre's turn in this direction interrupted a beautiful tradition and potentiality. This is not a video game program. It is an engineering program where perfection is the important thing.
If we compare the weight of a file of a model of the same complexity made in Alibre D V11 and a recent version, we have that the file of the ADV11 version is much lighter.
It is a question of strategy in the face of an increasingly fierce competition between CAD programs.
I hope that AD comes to its senses and does not dilute the great opportunity it has to position itself as a good Mechanical Software of the immediate and mediate future.
View attachment 38802

Giovanni,

Most, if not all CAD programs utilize HOOPS Visualize and Exchange for their graphics and import capabilities. As hardware advances, software must follow, and the move to HOOPS is to allow for a better visual representation of your models on the screen. Your comparison of file sizes is a logical fallacy as you compare a file from over a decade ago to one now. This can be attributed to many factors, one of which is a decade's + worth of code to allow new features to be applied to the model. Another being updates to other core components that are provided by our 3rd party developers. Hoops is also a contributing factor but not the sole one. The utilization of Hoops is the Industry standard, and we most likely will not deviate from that unless something better comes along.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
. Your comparison of file sizes is a logical fallacy as you compare a file from over a decade ago to one now.
Thanks very much Serenity for your answer.
1.-Regarding to you comment. How you explain to me that the same model that I show above with the "same features":
ADV14: 539 kb;
ADV21: 546 kb;
ADV22: 550 kb;
ADV23: 699 kb.
so between V14 and V23 the archive is increased in 160 kb useless for me. (Waste information)
If the software are most powerful must to have "at the same features" less kb.
2.-Regarding to the visualization I don't need more that I described above for my task. The other "Effect" like ambient occlusion etc... Waste kb for me.
Here is a software that is 15 years old where I am doing the flooding study of one model for a customer builder (and the new version has the same render graphic) and cost 20 times than alibre and the presentation render is same to the ADV11 with little kb.
The company is NOT CONCENTRATE IN GRAPHIC VISUALIZATION is concentrate only in features and this features increasing the weight of the archive if them are UTILIZED.If not the archive is light. That is an example of superb engineering. I don't have the money for the last version.

1680024294243.png
This Shell Hull has 26 Kb
1680026839538.png
This complex structure example with shell plate bending inf. has only 574 kb!
1680026154106.png
1680026216697.png
Regards,
GIOV

Last edited:

oilman

GIOV,

I noticed your comments about the updated graphics engine in Alibre. I can understand why they made these changes, as it's common for software companies to update their graphics engines from time to time. There are actually several good reasons for these updates:
  1. Performance improvements: Upgraded graphics engines can provide better performance and efficiency. This means faster rendering, smoother interactions, and overall improved user experience.
  2. New features and capabilities: With updated graphics engines, developers can introduce new features and capabilities that were not possible or too resource-intensive in previous versions. This can help users create more sophisticated models and designs.
  3. Compatibility and stability: By keeping the graphics engine up-to-date, software companies can ensure better compatibility with the latest hardware, operating systems, and other software. This can lead to increased stability and fewer crashes or glitches.
  4. Industry standards: It's essential for CAD software companies to stay competitive by adopting the latest industry standards and best practices. Updating the graphics engine is one way to ensure they remain at the forefront of technology and provide users with cutting-edge tools.
  5. A fresh and modern interface: Last but not least, keeping the software's interface up-to-date is crucial for providing a pleasant user experience. A modern and visually appealing interface can help users feel more comfortable and productive when using the software.
While it may take some time to adjust to the changes from 2019 in Alibre's graphics engine, I believe the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks in the long run. If you rely on CAD for your livelihood, upgrading to a PC capable of handling the latest graphics engine could be a worthwhile investment for smoother performance and enhanced productivity...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The increased file size might be information that could be very beneficial to the user. It could be larger resolution images for Windows Explorer for file thumbnails. It could be redundant data for file error checking and recovery. It could be data saved by an add-on or Alibre Script. I'm not saying it is one of these things but it could be - or could be something else. It could be junk data.

Honestly though if you're worrying about things in scales of kB you're worrying about the wrong things. My phone has a 128GB internal storage and it's photos are generally around 5MB. Get a 1TB external drive and don't worry about file size.

I will say it was a bad idea to make the new ambient occlusion graphics settings default to on for existing files. At least now with v26 that can be disabled globally by a user setting. There were other issues when it was introduced that have since been fixed too. But without Hoops we probably would not have gotten visual threaded holes, real time sectioning, per face colors, tracing images...

Ex Machina

Thank you for the clarification. I have brought your issue up internally for additional discussion/investigation. I will post again here with any updates.
Serenity, thank you for your interest in my issue. Let me know if you need additional information on my side.