What's new

Lenovo laptop memory upgrade?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
My primary Alibre computer these days is a Lenovo 3-15itl6 IdeaPad laptop. It has a core i5-1135g7 cpu (2.4ghz w Turboboost to 4.2ghz), 12gb of ram and integrated Iris XE graphics.

The laptop runs Alibre v25sp1 quite well. Surprising, even quite a bit smoother and faster that my desktop PC, which has an 8 core 4ghz cpu, 64gb of ram and a 4gb pci express x16 Nvidia graphics card.

My best guess as to why the laptop runs Alibre so much better than the desktop is that the laptop has ddr4 3200mhz ram, Although, alot less of it, and a solid state hard drive.

The desktop is running ddr3 1600mhz ram and a 7200rpm optical drive. That's the only spec on the laptop that's seems superior to the desktop is the ram clock frequency and SSD drive.

Anyway, I came across a stick of 32gb ddr4 3200ghz notebook ram. My Lenovo's documentation indicated it can take a maximum of 20gb, but I'm seeing posts on a couple forums that indicate others have successfully done it. That it "may" accept the 32gb module and work fine.

Is it worth the effort to try it? Would 32gb be a worthwhile upgrade for Alibre on this laptop?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
In case anyone with a similar system wants to upgrade the memory in the future, It went well. Despite the 20gb limit in the manual, it shows 36gb total now. The 32gb I installed, + the 4gb soldered to the mainboard.

It ran Alibre good before. It runs even better now. A noticeable improvement on my bigger assemblies.

1661815932902.png

initial bootup into windows is a good bit quicker as well.