What's new

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92Z (AIO-23")

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi all,
After 2005, I have been able to invest in a new "old" computer and I decided on:
Lenovo ThinkCentre M92Z (AIO-23") ALL-IN-ONE i3-2120
3.3GHz 256GB SSD 8GB RAM.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I would suggest at least an i5 and 16+GB RAM. If you do CAD for a living, then I would invest in something way better in terms of performance and GPU. The investment will pay you back quite quickly in productivity!

I've had my laptop for a few years now and at the time it was either an HP-Zbook Series, DELL XPS Series or MSI GS/WS Series. My old laptop had a better spec than the Lenovo ThinkCentre M92Z and it started to frustrate me on a daily basis.

For a laptop, the Lenovo ThinkPad P52's would be my starting point, for CAD work, if looking at Lenovo.

For a desktop, you need to be looking at an i5 minimum (preferably i7) with 32GB RAM. The Lenovo ThinkCentre M92Z is a Win7 machine that is over 10 years old, obsolete, and barely support Win8.1 and Win10. Win11 will ne a non-starter. Do you really want to spend money on something that is obsolete an locks you in to the last decade from the day you buy it?

Note : Speed (i.e. 3.3GHz) doesn't always mean its faster. The core architecture of the processor (i3, i5, i7, i9, Xeon, etc), disc access times and amount of RAM increase performance on 64bit machines.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Thanks Simond for your comments
Speed (i.e. 3.3GHz) doesn't always mean its faster. The core architecture of the processor (i3, i5, i7, i9, Xeon, etc), disc access times and amount of RAM increase performance on 64bit machines.
I read this:

"Maximizing Performance​

How multi-core CPUs affect performance
Recent CPU evolution has seen less improvement in clock speed (GHz) and more improvement in increasing the number of cores. Having access to many cores is great for general computing and some specialized applications, but it isn't a high priority for CAD software. Generally, the more cores on a chip, the slower each core is.
Most geometry operations will run only on 1 core - so to maximize performance you would want to buy a CPU with the fastest per-core clock speeds. Typically, this might mean aiming for a quad-core CPU with fast clock speeds (3.5 - 4.0 or higher GHz). In terms of Alibre Design only, you would want to avoid CPUs with 12, 16 or more cores as they will likely have lower per-core clock speeds."
I was not looking for video game computer. The most important for me are the GHz and SSD that give a good CAD performance plus 21" screen.
I hope I'm not wrong, but otherwise it has better features than the one I currently have. I am not interest in W11. From Window Vista
(Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz, 1733 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) ) to Window 10 i3-2120 Intel® HD Graphics 2000 is Ok for me.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
As a comparison, here are the 2 processors you mention (current and 'new'). I've also added my 2 for comparison and the slower one of mine gives me issues with Alibre in terms of performance. I've helped that by upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 32GB. Your 'new' machine only states 8GB, so you'll definitely need to upgrade that if you want a nice usable experience ...

Notice how the slower i7 has way more single thread performance on just one core, so as I said earlier, clock speed is not the major factor, its the overall efficient architecture of the silicon.

1660301764274.png

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Your 'new' machine only states 8GB, so you'll definitely need to upgrade that if you want a nice usable experience ...
Thanks Simon for your excellent comments. Next step I will upgrade the RAM to 16 or 32 GB.

Abhijit

Just curious, what is the overall budget for the upgrade?
Do you need a mobile workstation or a desktop pc would do as well?
Another thing I wanted to ask was what applications would be used on the device in your workflow?
Depending on the answers above the best specifications for the price considering budget can be figured, an investment that can last you very long time and work like a charm.

BobSchaefer

Thanks Simon for your excellent comments. Next step I will upgrade the RAM to 16 or 32 GB.
So out of curiosity I just did a quick google of memory for that laptop, you're maxed out at 16gig, it has 2 slots that will take a max of an 8gig dimm. Depending on how they did the 8 gig in the laptop, you're looking at either $92 to buy two 8 gig dimms or $46 for a single. (based on data from crucial).

And I just did a little more digging and I just realized that's not a laptop! Is there a particular reason you're going with an all-in-one? That really limits upgrade options, I really think you want to re-think what you're doing (hopefully you haven't bought it yet) I think going through the questions that Abhijit asked will help us guide you to a better decision and one that will hopefully give you more upgrade options!

Abhijit

I agree with Simon and Bob. The specs of the PC are obsolete at this time and it would give you a lot of trouble for stable performance.
Imo system integrators charge a lot of premium for their "CAD" computers and specially for the types of device that you shared above, a lot of the money goes into the bling rather than components that'd matter.
Giov, I made a component list for a PC that is 2022 standards and with a very good upgrade path for CPU, GPU, RAM and Storage and also some resale value if you wish to change platforms later.
Even this build imo will give you top spec performance for the next 5 years without changing anything.
If you wish to go for a more powerful CPU, a 5900x would be a beast for just $150 more.
5600x was just to keep it sub $1k, a 5800x would be amazing and my recommendation.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Do you need a mobile workstation or a desktop pc would do as well?
All in One
Just curious, what is the overall budget for the upgrade?
I had already bought (Near US$ 215) it and I can only think of 16 GB RAM
Is there a particular reason you're going with an all-in-one?
I like the All in One concept because it has a 21" screen, which is very good for me. I waste a lot of time opening and closing windows between spreadsheets and CADs
It may be a good idea, in the near future, to improve it with an i7 processor that Simon has very well recommended to me, but I think will not for Window 11
I have done it with my laptop and have had no problems. The most important thing is the socket and the correct application of the paste.
Socket:
So In short, this new "old" machine is going to be much better than the one I already have since 2005 that gives this parts structure components of my last design which was made in Rhino & Alibre Design.
1660333354250.png
Fishing Vessel.
Regarding to:
Even this build imo will give you top spec performance for the next 5 years without changing anything.
Is too late.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Another advantage that I have considered in my decision is that I will be able to use 4 views at the same time since currently the diagonal of each of them is only 6" and in the new 21" screen it will be 8.4"
1660416618548.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
21" !! If that's better, what size screen was your old machine?

I've personally never used anything less than two 27" monitors side-by-side (at 2560 x 1440 on both) on my desktop machine, especially for programming, graphics artwork, PCB design and CAD work where screen space is the #1. I use the second screen for all my reference/design documentation, web browser and PDF's which leave the whole of one screen for CAD, or the main application I'm using, without having to juggle windows around every time I need to look something up. Not sure how you work on such a relatively small 'canvas', as even my laptop at 17" with a single view is hard work on the eyes and a pain switching between Alibre and design documents for me.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
At my work we were "authorized" to have two 24" monitors for the CAD stations. That worked out real nice, I had SolidWorks open on one and the other was used for KeyShot, browser, doc management, email, etc. And in a pinch I could stretch SolidWorks across both monitors when I needed to have two parts open for comparison, one part window on each monitor.

For my home setup I just upgraded my Dell 24" at 1920 X 1200 monitor to an Acer 31" 2K monitor at 2560 X 1440 which gives me a lot of room to have two apps open, side-by-side, at the same time. Surprisingly, I don't need any scaling to adjust fonts or icons in Alibre. If I want I can still plug my Dell 24 into a second display port on the computer and use that for reference docs, etc. but I need a wider desk for that to happen.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Simon & Harold!
Yes. May be my below concept is a good AD's Dream users:
1660502643786.png
For now I improve from 15" to 21"!
I have another Toshiba that I carry for services out of my office.
May be the future will be a mix . One equipment for simulation and other specialized for design.
Thanks a lot!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Something like this is my ultimate dream (if the price wasn't too darn high!), it is the same area as 2 x 27", but curved and without the bar down the centre that you get using 2 monitors. Seen quite a few designers using these :) ...

1660513823712.png

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Ok Simon & Harold,
Put the new screen 49" and be careful to don't crash! Alibre plus Simulator:)

The idea is to observe the object you design from a dynamic viewer.

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Well.
I have the new "old" Lenovo ThinkCentre M92Z (AIO-23") in my Design Desk.. I put the AD (GD) V14 64 bits and doesn't run good . So I did some investigation regarding a its OS W7 Home Premium and I find that I need adds Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 plus IronPhyton 2.7.11
The performance increase a lot from 15 sec to change the Left View to Right one in shaded & Visible Edges and 6 sec in Wireframe Display to 6 sec Shaded & Visible Edges and 3 sec in Wireframe Display without Ribbon...

The Screen Resolution is : 1920 x 1080 and has SSHD
May be if I installing more RAM the performance could be increased like Ken 226 opinion:

I don't try yet of instal ADV22 or 23. The system doesn't has WiFi.

Some data:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name xxxxxxxx
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 3325AK2
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 9NKT30AUS, 11/6/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name xxxxxxxxx
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)
8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory
7.81 GB
Available Physical Memory
5.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory
15.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory
13.4 GB
Page File Space 7.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

ComSpec %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe <SYSTEM>
DXSDK_DIR C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\ <SYSTEM>
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK NO <SYSTEM>
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 4 <SYSTEM>
OS Windows_NT <SYSTEM>
Path %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG <SYSTEM>
PATHEXT .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE AMD64 <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_LEVEL 6 <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_REVISION 2a07 <SYSTEM>
PSModulePath %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\ <SYSTEM>
TEMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
TEMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
TEMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp xxxxxxxxx
TMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
TMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
TMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp xxxxxxxxxx
USERNAME SYSTEM <SYSTEM>
windir %SystemRoot% <SYSTEM>

IronPhyton 2.7.11 (Added)
Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 (Added)
Screen Resolution is : 1920 x 1080

The model for the evaluation is courtesy of Lista Studio

All opinion is welcome
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC00631.JPG
    DSC00631.JPG
    824.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00632.JPG
    DSC00632.JPG
    830.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
The sharpness is very good but the change of view is very slow jet. May be only I need more RAM.

1665968094659.png
Section View now run very Good.
1665969306897.png

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
May be only I need more RAM.
Seriously @GIOV , if you are doing complex models like this and this is your paid work, I seriously would just invest in a new 'new!' top spec i7 machine with 32GB RAM. Going 'cheap' on a 10 year old machine and trying to get that to run CAD software with any kind of performance is just not worth the time ... and time is money! It's only going to get slower as newer versions of Alibre are released and as Windows updates and virus checkers make the machine work harder in the background!

You have been discussing this for over 2 months now ... you could have had good/great performance if you had made the right investment in the first place and taken some advice before buying an outdated, underpowered machine, then trying to squeeze the life out of it just to make it usable!