What's new

Licence releasing

dammerel

Hi All
I have one licence between my work PC and home laptop (BTW like others I did have 3 licences at one stage...)
In my case, I am the only user and I only use the PC or laptop. I always forget to release the licence before going home or vice versa. It would be nice to have a way to release a licence without actually being at the PC eg via a webpage or similar. How do others handle this? another would be to automatically release the licence when you close Alibre - or should I just remember to release licence

Andrew

dammerel

Teamviewer is great if the host PC is on
Another idea would be to allow multi licences but only one concurrent user - similar to Bentley Select licence agreement
Andrew

jc-s

+1 for one concurrent user for multi licences. I imagine 2 installs is probably enough for most people (work/home, desktop/notebook). I have other software that works like this and it's very useful: you can move between PCs without worrying about the licence and you get a warning if the licence is currently running on the network. Also doesn't need internet, so if your connection goes down you can still be working and switching between PCs.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There is a concurrent option (there is a small charge to upgrade) - note though it is only suitable if you will always have internet access. Unlike the standard on-line activation, the concurrent option will not work at all without internet access (because it can't 'pick up' the licence from the 'pool').

jc-s

Ah yes, I remember seeing that option. Although we have a very good internet connection, it's not 100% uptime. Inevitably it goes down when something urgent needs to be completed! Being able to work off-line is pretty essential; for us anyway it's more important to be able to work offline, than work flexibly on another PC.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you are office based, there is a 'locally administered' concurrent option - might be a bit more flexible. Still waiting for the usage instructions to become available for that. A virtual machine acts as a local licensing server.

dammerel

I guess this is a good idea having a licence server but it doesn't suit what I do and what others do when you're working in the office and then have to take your laptop out into the field or into the workshop