What's new

Link dimensions from one part to another

batejosh

Hi Fellow Users,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to link dimensions from one part to another. The end result would be something like: sketch design geometry in one part then create other parts which use the dimensions from that sketch. Then when I change the dimensions in the sketch, it changes the sizes of the dependent parts.

I've tried to import dimensions back to global parameters, but that doesn't seem to work. I'd like to try to import dimensions back to an excel spreadsheet, but I can't figure out how to install the add-on. I've found installer files from 3Dsystems website, but the installer for Excel2010+ 32 bit (which my excel is) throws this back...
upload_2017-9-28_8-16-29.png
Are there updated installers to be found on Alibre's new website?

Any advice would surely be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Josh

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That Excel add-in issue is fixed in Alibre Design 2017.1 - release due soon (see News section).

If the parts are in an assembly, you can use Project to sketch to achieve this - you could even put them in an assembly juts to create the linkage.

Excel and GPF are both used to drive dimensions down - not the other way. It used to be possible to export Equation Editor content to csv file, and to re-import - but that option was dropped without explanation some while ago.

BTW - no need to download Excel Add-in installer from 3DS, it's included in your default install anyway (you still have to choose which Excel add-in to use and hence install that particular one from all the options in the folder).

batejosh

Hi David,

Thanks very much for answering all my questions.

There are a couple of problems that I have with projecting sketches between parts:
  1. Broken links (I think the geometry of one part gets altered too much and it breaks the link to the dependant part)
  2. Not being able to insert shaded views in drawings when inter-design relations and multiple configurations are present.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

lamar

I use the Global Parameters all the time, once it is set up it is a wiz to change dimensions. I like it better then the excel plug-in.
projecting dimensions from one part to another is very problematic. dimensions do not always seen to stay associated.
With Global Parameters u just need to open the global parameter box and set the dimensions to what ever you want and then open the assembly file and save ad you have it. :)

batejosh

Hi Lamar,

I love the idea of being able to link my models to global parameters. I've tried it a couple of times, but I find that it just takes me too much time and I can't use it to figure out geometry and dimensions of dependent parts.

OK, I admit that, as a Math Geek, it bothers me to misuse the term Parameters. My preference is to call them "Project Variables" as that is a better and more accurate description as to what they are in truth. With existing WizoScript abilities, they serve a multitude of useful purposes!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I know this could be done with the API. In the days before GPF, I used an API utility written by another forum member that (if I remember the detail) used an otherwise empty part as a 'container' for Parameters/Variables which were automatically copied into other associated files where they were re-used. That is almost the process needed here to drive one part from another.

The thing that I would like to see added to the AD_GLP file system is the ability to "uplload" an existing design variable value (Equation Editor value) to the AD_GLP definition set.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I know this could be done with the API. In the days before GPF, I used an API utility written by another forum member that (if I remember the detail) used an otherwise empty part as a 'container' for Parameters/Variables which were automatically copied into other associated files where they were re-used. That is almost the process needed here to drive one part from another.
Perhaps your thinking of Alex Franke's Parameter Wizard?