What's new

Link Global Parameters to Spreadsheet

ZacP

Hi

Does anyone know whether it is possible to link Global Parameters to a spreadsheet. The green button (as seen in this post: https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?posts/123500/ ) is enabled in a new Global Parameters file (although nothing happens when it is clicked). However, as soon as a parameter is added, it becomes disabled and doesn't come back. Is this an unfinished feature or is there something wrong with my install?

Cheers
Zac

Zac -- The only way I know how to achieve such control is to use an xlsx formatted spreadsheet and create a WizoScript program to manage such an update. As I prefer the ods format for my spreadsheet work, I only do this when forced. [You have no idea how much I would love to have the ability to use WizoScript with ods formatted spreadsheets!]

ZacP

Thanks Lew,

It strikes me as odd that they would take the time to add the button into the ribbon if global parameters can't be linked to a spreadsheet.

Zac -- I knew and worked with the "kid" (at MIT) who created the modern spreadsheet program. I refuse to use Excel as I know the "story" behind it. As Excel is the "assumed spreadsheet" here, I do nothing with it. [Go WizoScript!!!]

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The button is used to re-link if the association with a linked spreadsheet is lost (say due to file renaming or moving).

Use the Excel add-in to link your spreadsheet to the GLP file.

ZacP

Thanks all. Turns out I needed to install the newer Excel add-in. My Global Parameters file was listed in the add-in 'session' but none of the parameters were listed. It was working fine when using it with parts, so I hadn't considered that it might need updating.