What's new

List Of 3D Printing Slicers

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I'm looking to replace the Maker printer with something that has dual extruders (for support material) and a really big bed. Dual independent extruders would be a plus. The big Creality CR10 printer looks interesting, but it doesn't have dual extruders. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to spend lots of money on another 3D printer, and I don't mind modding it with better, hotter extruders. Source code published firmware would also be a plus as I have some interesting ideas for a home-made 3D printer.
If you're considering a CR10 and want dual extrusion then see THIS. Might be just what you're looking for.

aptivaboy

Has anyone used Chitu Box? It seems to come packaged with a lot of low to medium priced UV resin printers. Its supposed to be very easy to use but I've heard others roundly curse it. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this slicer.

Thank you!

Bob

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I use it. My Photon came with Anycubic's Photon slicer which actually does a decent job but one thing I noticed was that when breaking off supports I was often left with gouges in the print where the supports attached. Not the slicer's fault, its more me being heavy-handed when removing supports. Chitubox addresses this cleverly by allowing the user to add a ball at the end of each support stalk. This leaves little bumps where the supports attached but resin is super easy to sand so its no problem. And gouges are a thing of the past. Supports are very customisable. Chitubox also allows the user to hollow out the model to a desired thickness and add drainage holes. And it adds the 'holes' as a separate models so you can use it to fill the holes after printing. Chitubox also lets you set up profiles for different printers, resins, layer heights, etc. So settings that work can be stored for later use.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
My thoughts haven't really changed much since my my review. Everything worked perfectly out the box and still does. Haven't made any upgrades or anything like that. The screen is still going strong. I think some people (especially the mechanically less-inclined) feel they have to upgrade firmware and hardware immediately and end up fixing it til it breaks, if that makes sense. The screen is technically speaking a consumable and will need to be replaced at some point but at about £60 that isn't really a big deal. Mine works just as good as on day one and I have had it now for about 9 months but then I didn't muck about with firmware settings, which is what many users seems to do and end up with problems. Same with the so-called Z wobble. I have seen some really complicated upgrades to defeat Z-wobble. Total overkill for a printer of this size. And unnecessary as its down to a loose build plate, moving the printer during printing, adding resin during a light-on phase or in some cases a loose z stepper.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Some of the 3D-printer upgrades remind me of friends from high- school whoadded all sorts of useless doo-dads to their 15-YO beaters in an attempt "personalize" and increase their performance. Those were rarely successful.