What's new

Lofted path with guide curves generates s-shape

vec

I created 4 guide curves and 2 profiles to generate a loft, the result is correct at the guide curves but creates a S-shape in between. The different options in the loft feature have no effect. Is there a way to get the result shown in green?

PS: I started with a sweep which did not give the disered results. Either problem with crups or only correct at the guide and (small) error below and above. A multi-guided sweep is not available as far as I known (or does not work).

upload_2021-6-30_13-52-1.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Instead of using guide curves (generally a bad idea) try using tangencies instead. Add a tangency to the bottom profile and adjust the magnitude and angle to taste.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
May you upload your 3d model to give the forum a better chance for examination...
This.
It is a bit difficult to determine just what is causing the problem in your model without your model. We would need to see just what you have sketched for guide curves.

Instead of using guide curves (generally a bad idea) ...
Using Tangency settings have always left me a bit confused besides I thought Loft Guide Curves were supposed to be "enhanced" in v23.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Not sure what's causing the S-curvature in the side of the loft it's likely something to do with tangency to the guide curves but, Geez you could do with a lot fewer nodes in the spline guide curves. o_O Besides that splines in 3D sketch are a royal pain.

LoftGuideCurves-Wow.png

vec

I don't see a problem with large number of nodes, I tested it with fewer nodes, 25 instead of 100, and the result was similar but with a minor reduction in accuracy of the guide.
I checked if nodes between guide curves are connected, also no straight line here (small error again).

vec

Update, I tried creating a solid in SALOME (open-source) and I finally got what I wanted...created surfaces using filling between the guide curves.
If this would somehow also be possible with alibre script...

upload_2021-7-6_11-15-45.png

vec

Update: Still cannot connect the 4 guide curve by shortest distance in Alibre v24.
I was hoping I could create this with the updated loft feature.