What's new

Looking for a home 3D scanner.

aptivaboy

Good Sunday, all!

I'm looking for a reasonably priced home 3D scanner and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. I've got an HP Z 3D scan camera but its never worked right. I got it on a super steep sale two years ago so I'm not complaining about that, but having something that works consistently would be preferred.

My main uses would be scanning scale models in, for the purposes of making detail parts for them. As an example, scan in a Star Trek saucer and then use the scan to create properly sized and conforming add-on parts. Or, scan in a US Navy bomber model to create better conforming bomb racks. I'm not looking for NASA level hyper accuracy, but close enough that the basic shapes are represented correctly, and then the model can be imported into Alibre or Moment of Inspiration for work.

Many thanks for any ideas or pointers. I'd like to not go above $500 if possible. I'm using a water cooled Ryzen 2700X system with 64GB of RAM and a 2080, so specs shouldn't be a problem.

Robert

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I think you will struggle to find something. Small features can be problematic even for much more expensive laser based scanners. Also allow for software to process/repair the raw scan.

I hope you manage to prove me wrong.

I have played with a couple of different products to do 3D capture. Most recently a Revpoint 3D scanner with the motorized turntable and markers. I have had no success with any of the products. I have also asked others in the 3D printing business if they have ever found a low-cost unit that works. The answer has always been no. Depending on what you want to do all of the low-cost scanners will only produce an STL or OBY file. A 3D Scanner is useless to me unless you can get a step file from the process. There are STL-STEP converters in the public domain but they produce a file that is so huge you could not do anything with it. Sadly a proper 3D scanner for reverse engineering remains a very expensive proposition.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Good Sunday, all!

I'm looking for a reasonably priced home 3D scanner and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. I've got an HP Z 3D scan camera but its never worked right. I got it on a super steep sale two years ago so I'm not complaining about that, but having something that works consistently would be preferred.

My main uses would be scanning scale models in, for the purposes of making detail parts for them. As an example, scan in a Star Trek saucer and then use the scan to create properly sized and conforming add-on parts. Or, scan in a US Navy bomber model to create better conforming bomb racks. I'm not looking for NASA level hyper accuracy, but close enough that the basic shapes are represented correctly, and then the model can be imported into Alibre or Moment of Inspiration for work.

Many thanks for any ideas or pointers. I'd like to not go above $500 if possible. I'm using a water cooled Ryzen 2700X system with 64GB of RAM and a 2080, so specs shouldn't be a problem.

Robert
There is no such thing as reasonably priced home 3D scanner that works. Scanners only really become worthwhile from about 8 grand upwards and even then you gonna be pretty disappointed with the results. Even top of the line scanners costing tens of thousands will achieve at best 0.3mm accuracy. Not really good for high accuracy work. Best is to remodel from scratch or find a model online.

imo.