What's new

Low Cost Laptop Recommendations

leeave96

Want to play around with Alibre since I upgraded.

Been using a Mac for other programs, doubt Alibre can/will run on it.

Any recommendations for a low cost laptop (I’m talking about Walmart low cost) with DirectX 9 compatibility?

How does one know a given laptop is DirectX compatible?

Simple parts, drawings and assemblies. If things get complex/more serious, I’ll get a better PC

Any sage advice for a low cost laptop from the likes of Walmart or Bestbuy, etc are much appreciated.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Though not officially supported by Alibre, some users report success with Windows under parallels on Macs.

BobSchaefer

Pretty much any laptop available today will work. They may list some hefty specs on the website, but that's to accommodate people doing larger drawings. Pretty much all you should be concerned with is the hard drive size and the memory size. I would say anything with 500 gig of disk and at least 8 gig of RAM should be fine. Beyond that, they're all DirectX compatible and will work fine for that.

Just took a quick glance over at the Staples website and see that they have HP Pavilion laptops for around $330 and up. Basically I'd stick more with a name brand on the laptops like HP, Dell, Lenovo and the likes and avoid some of the super cheap ones that you may find out there, those you may have some issues with.

Hope this helps you out a little bit. Also, knowing what you consider low cost would be helpful.