What's new

M files woes...

Markaj

So, I have been using the Mfiles vault which came with Alibre since 2014 without any serious hiccups, until a couple of weeks ago. Essentially, an overdue update to Windows 10 resulted in the computer being wiped.
I have a backup of the files - and on it there is the Mfiles folder with what should be all the files inside it somewhere. So the question is how can I retrieve them? I cannot see how install MFiles, and my more recent version of Alibre doesn't come with it, and even if it did, how would I go about recovering them?
MFiles service were actually pretty helpful, up to the point where it was an old version and I would probably need to buy a new licence & take it from there.
Any ideas? - apart from take early retirement!
TIA
Mark

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do you still have the M-Files installer and licence details from original installation? The licence key is really critical, somebody else may have the installer.

Is the backup a .mfb archive, or is it a simple copy of the Vault data?

Were all files checked in?

Were M-Files client and server on the same computer, or on different ones?

Markaj

Hi David, I'm afraid I can't find the licence details unless its the same as my original geomagic one that it came with (2014)? and the installer may be in the Mfiles folder?
The backup is simply a copy of the vault on a USB HD.
All files were checked in.
Server & client were on the same computer.
Hope this helps! many thanks
Mark

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Well Geomagic were the ones that dropped M-Files. I doubt you'd have got any updates/renewals of M-Files. Your original licence and installer should therefore be OK. The M-Files licence has a serial number (918-xxxxxxxx)and a long licence key. I do have a copy of the Geomagic Vault installer from 2014.

It is possible to 're-attach' a Vault that is copied from back-up for example. It's quite a long time now since I've worked with M-Files, so I struggle to recall all the details of how to do that.

eron

The license key is called the Alibre Vault license key and there is also an Alibre Vault serial number. Alibre may have these on file from your purchase, its worth contacting them.

Once you install M-files, you can choose to Restore Document Vault from the Server Administrator application.