What's new

maintenance

gaspereau

can I buy maintenance after it has expired? I updated not knowing it would delete my old version. now I have no access at all.

gaspereau

I found the answer to my question, on the Alibre website under downloads, I was able to reinstall my old version. once opened the app offers a link to purchase the maintenance. took a while to figure it out. I wish there was a spot on the website for maintenance purchase.

kpainter

can I buy maintenance after it has expired? I updated not knowing it would delete my old version. now I have no access at all.
I believe they charge a $200 reinstatement fee in addition to the maintenance fee. Not sure how long you have to be out of maintenance before that reinstatement fee is triggered.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I updated not knowing it would delete my old version.
During the update install did you not see the options to install side-by-side or delete all previous versions? I think it defaults to side-by-side so you would have had to select the option to delete your previous version. :oops:

calinb

The update process vs. no maintenance subscription is very confusing to me and there was no documentation or notice of consequences offered ahead of an update offer and my acceptance of the update when I launched Alibre after activating it. Here are some details, as best I can recall:

I purchased Alibre Professional during the "Black Friday" promotion. I did not purchase a maintenance subscription. I installed the program and made sure that it had basic functionality but I did not save any files. I activated it more recently but still did not save any files. About a week or two ago, I launched the program and it notified me that an update was available, which I thought was strange, given the lack of a maintenance purchases, but I went ahead and accepted the update and selected the option to delete the old version. Afterwards, I completed a simple design and saved a file. I just launched the program today and it seems to function and I saved more files.

It sounds like I should decline or cancel any opportunities to upgrade from now on--or at least until I intend to purchase maintenance or a new version. What does the future hold for me, now that I've updated since activating the product? Will my install turn into a pumpkin after 30 days or something? It does correctly list my license as valid at this time (apparently not in demo mode, which is correct behavior).

Thanks,

Cal

Last edited:

languer

I do believe that the maintenance is for new versions; and that patches to the same version are still covered by your original purchase. But I could be wrong.

calinb

Thanks very much for your reply, languer. Your explanation sounds plausible to me and refreshing as well, because I recently had to pay for firmware updates to a couple of electronic devices that had so many bugs that they were unusable (both devices from the same company and unrelated to CAD). It would be nice to get some Alibre bugs squashed at no charge within the same version that I purchased, though I've not used Alibre long enough to have found any bugs yet!

I was upgraded from 64-bit V27 build 27038 to 27039.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
27039 build was given the same 'born on' date as 27038 - hence it is available free of charge to anyone entitled to version 27. This is usual practice for service packs.

If an update isn't covered by your licence, a warning to that effect should display during the install.