What's new

Mirror constraint in assembly

OrjanB

I had 2 equal parts in an assembly, and wanted to move them freely and symetrically around a mid-plane.
I did not find a suitable constraint in Alibre, and therefore combined 2 planes and an axis in order to obtain what I wanted.
It works very well, here is how:

1) Place the 2 parts into the assembly and constrain them linearly so they can move freely and in line. Position the parts symetrically (approx. only - not accurate) on each side of an origin plane. (picture 1)
2) Insert a plane touching two edges on the parts (picture 2)
3) Insert another plane touching the opposite edges (picture 3)
4) Insert an axis in the crossing of these two planes (picture 4)
5) Constrain the inserted axis to the origin plane

Now the parts will move freely and always symetrically around the origin plane.

If the inserted planes/axis are hidden it looks like a genuine Alibre constraint.

Of course you can make this movement around any plane, I use the origin plane just for easier explanation.

Perhaps could it be added to existing constraints in the constraint window?

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Pic3.JPG
    Pic3.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Pic4.JPG
    Pic4.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
FYI in recent versions you can mirror identical or similar parts in an assembly using the Assembly Mirror found next to the linear and circular patterns. The method you describe could still come in handy for some people though.

OrjanB

FYI in recent versions you can mirror identical or similar parts in an assembly using the Assembly Mirror found next to the linear and circular patterns. The method you describe could still come in handy for some people though.
Thank you for the tip - very good. I was not aware of this possibillity - did not find it when I needed it.
It behaves like a constraint and I think it would be easier to find if a similar function was available from the constraint window.
My solution can be used when you already have parts placed in an assembly and then want to have the mirroring movevement of parts.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yes, your solution is still valid and someone may need it. Especially Atom3D users - which I believe have no assembly patterns or assembly mirror. Or for someone who needs to demonstrate assembly motion.