What's new

Misc Alibre Thoughts vs other CAD

leeave96

Misc Alibre Thoughts vs other CAD

As the price of Alibre creeps-up and as does the maintainence cost (as you go from standard to pro, etc), at what point does the difference between Alibre maintainence and Solidworks (or another package) become more attractive?

I haven't really come across anything I can't model with Alibre (haven't given the drafting side a good workout - but that's coming), but, I have had to do some serious work arounds that required a goodly amount of time. If one adds that time up over a year, then I could see the $$ that goes out in expanded labor costs to justify the difference in yearly maintainence - assuming one could get over the high start-up cost of a SW program. What are our thoughts on this?

My next question is - why you use Alibre. In my case, I find it the best bang for the buck - again for what I do. But has anyone dumped SW, Pro-E, etc. for Alibre and if so, why?

Just courious!

Bill

MilesH

Alibre Super User

In my case there wasn't much choice, it was the only program that I could justify the cost of, as I don't really use it professionally. Having said that, in many ways, it's a better program for my needs than more expensive options. Also, the cost of the add-ons is comensurate, which allows possibilities I couldn't even dream of considering otherwise. Plus, I like the open STEP format. Plus, it's great to be "closer to the action" than you could be with a larger company. Sure, Alibre is a commercial venture, like the others, but it seems to have a good spirit, for want of a better word...

A

Anonymous

I like Alibre a lot, but it is still rudimentary to Pro/e, I-deas, Catia, etc. I purchased Alibre for my home based business but I can't really imagine using it to design a rocket motor, satellite, or commercial aircraft yet. Alibre is a great tool for a small business like a single engineer, designer, or job shop. It does have a way to go. Especially since the others have been lowering their prices. I got a quote from a PTC reseller for Pro/e that was almost 50% off of the advertised price. Considering this, I don't think that Alibre can really afford to raise their price any more. Also, NASA is not going to approve a company to design the next manned missions to the moon or mars with it. Look for large aerospace companies to continue using the big boys. Alibre is great for everybody else.