What's new

Modified part in assembly

GordonL

I know that I did something that probably was not according to the rules. I have been making an assembly of the individual parts as I progress with the overall design. I was not sure if what I was trying to change would work so I had a part "cylinder" so I saved as "cylinderMOD" and made the changes. Once I was sure that it would work I deleted the original and renamed CylinderMod to Cylinder and placed the modified part in the assembly. Everything was just fine until I closed and reloaded the assembly. Now it keeps telling me that Cylinder cannot be found. That is true. The original no longer exists. I did not want to lose the original until I was sure that the modification was going to work. I am not sure of how to correct this. How do I make it s that the assembly does not keep looking for a part which does not exist?

GordonL

Never mind. I just found the solution. I noticed that there was an "unknown" item in the list of parts. I clicked on that and one of the options was to remove unknow so once I did that everything worked as it should.

BigKahunaFL

I know that I did something that probably was not according to the rules. I have been making an assembly of the individual parts as I progress with the overall design. I was not sure if what I was trying to change would work so I had a part "cylinder" so I saved as "cylinderMOD" and made the changes. Once I was sure that it would work I deleted the original and renamed CylinderMod to Cylinder and placed the modified part in the assembly. Everything was just fine until I closed and reloaded the assembly. Now it keeps telling me that Cylinder cannot be found. That is true. The original no longer exists. I did not want to lose the original until I was sure that the modification was going to work. I am not sure of how to correct this. How do I make it s that the assembly does not keep looking for a part which does not exist?
One thing that I do and may also work for you is the use of Configurations. The file name will remain the same, and you can have as many configurations as you want/need and switch them on the fly!