What's new

modifying/measure stl

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I download some stl files and would like to get dimensions or modify.
i would like to get into Alibre but can't find a way to do this yet.
I have downloaded several of the Free programs, Blender, Freecad, meshmixer
I have not got any of these to export in a stp file.
freecad gives a error message of "has a null shape"
anyone have a way of converting a stl to a stp file?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I download some stl files and would like to get dimensions or modify.
i would like to get into Alibre but can't find a way to do this yet.
I have downloaded several of the Free programs, Blender, Freecad, meshmixer
I have not got any of these to export in a stp file.
freecad gives a error message of "has a null shape"
anyone have a way of converting a stl to a stp file?
Working with stls is really tricky. For starters many people that create stls don't really know what they're doing so they are of very poor quality (eg: low poly, non-manifold). Converting something like this to stp is pretty much doomed to failed. If you do happen to get a good stl then I have had the best success converting to stp using FreeCAD.

In my opinion its isn't worth going this route. Better would be to pm the creator and ask for the stp file. Offering payment helps.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
ok thanks for the suggestions. that helps.
I printed a file assuming the dimensions were correct and they were not. so I was wanting to check dimensions before I waste another print. i was able to dimension in freecad.
my modifying was to cut something in half because it was too long, so I can do that in freecad, i guess I can I haven't tried, the other was to put the stl in asn assembly so I could see how it would work in my assembly. sounds like no simple solution,
thanks, i am just eager to learn how to use this.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
sounds like no simple solution,
There really isn't. Stls are a pain to work with. Even if Alibre were to reintroduce their mesh importer/converter it isn't going to change to fundamental difficulties in working with mesh files. Honestly the best option is still to contact the creator and pay them for their file. Or create your own.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Most slicers have the capability of scaling in the X, Y, and Z axes. That's of no help if you are just trying to tweak the dimension of one particular feature on an STL part, though.