What's new

More Drawing Question

pridbor

I'm designing this Radiator for my car.

What I would like to do is to add a circle within which I show the dimensions of e.g. my attachment brackets in a larger scale.

Is there a video of such?

Thanks

Preben

Attachments

• Cx Radiator.AD_DRW
    381.5 KB · Views: 3

pridbor

But I still have a related question:

I have made a drawing of an assembly and assumed that all entities were represented in 2D, and also thought that I could measure freely between any line arc etc

Now, I may not know what I'm doing, so could you please advise me on a single measurement I'm trying to accomplish?

In Detail B I made the 4" measurement of using 2 help lines. Can I do that without? l tried in Detail A but got an angle instead of a linear measurement.

Thanks

Preben

Attachments

• Cx Radiator.AD_DRW
    608.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You need to upload you drawing as a Package file. I get a "missing part' warning when I try to open it.

Aside from that; You should be able to dimension between any entities within a view without any 'helper' lines.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I was able to dimension in detail A and B without any helper lines. I didn't get 4.000" but 3.996"

If you select Activate Sketch in View before starting the Dimension command you will only be able to dimension in the view that you activated sketch in view. If you select the dimension command first without activating sketch in view then you should be able to dimension in any view of the drawing.

GeneT45

I was able to dimension in detail A and B without any helper lines. I didn't get 4.000" but 3.996"
I found several dimensions on my most recent drawings that did something like that. I have a default precision of 3 digits after the decimal, but in the drawing I changed it to four (where I needed to call out some tight tolerances) and it did the same sort of thing. My assumption was that Alibre uses the nearest convenient binary representation that results (rounds) to the dimensioned value given the default precision. I've increased my default to 4 digits after the decimal, but haven't really tested my suppositions.

GsT

pridbor

Jim, I hadn't seen that video, but now I have :) It's very helpful, and mostly what I was looking for.

If I got it right, then he was dealing with a single design entity, whereas I was making a drawing from an Assembly.
I thought that I couldn't get the measurements correctly because the measurements were between different parts.

I'm catching up/on, thanks all

Preben

pridbor

I decided to make my Radiator in four parts and create an Assembly of those. However, it seems that I can't use the "Reproject Design Dimensions" in my "Assembly" drawing.

It works fine as long as I "just" deal with one of the individual designs.

Is there something I'm missing here? It seems like a very useful feature, so I would definitely like to use it.

Thanks

Preben

Attachments

• Cx Radiator V2 - 1.AD_PKG
    370.1 KB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I never use them but I think Reproject design dimensions are only available for part drawings. For assembly drawings you will need to detail/dimension manually.